function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Blake TanonBlake Tanon 

Bulk trigger to update date question

I have a trigger that updates the number of calls logged against a contact, this part works fine in batch processes.  The second part of the trigger I need to update a date field with the first call date(in red), but it doesn't seem to be working in dataloads.  Any suggestions?

trigger CallCount on Contact (before update) {

for(Contact c:Trigger.new)
    c.Calls__c = 0;

for(Task t:[select id,WhoId from Task where Whoid in :Trigger.new AND (Type = 'Cold Call' OR Type = 'Inbound Call' OR Type = 'Outbound Call') AND Status = 'Completed' AND isDeleted = False AND ActivityDate > 2009-12-31 LIMIT 250 ALL ROWS])

Trigger.newMap.get(t.WhoId).Calls__c++;

for(Contact c:Trigger.new)
    c.First_Call_Date__c = null;

for(Task t:[select activitydate, whoid from task where whoid in:trigger.new AND (Type = 'Cold Call' OR Type = 'Inbound Call' OR Type = 'Outbound Call') AND Status = 'Completed' AND isDeleted = False Order By ActivityDate asc LIMIT 1 ALL ROWS])

trigger.newMap.get(t.whoid).First_Call_Date__c = t.ActivityDate;

}

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
logontokartiklogontokartik

Can you try the below code. It does the same thing your code is doing, I just changed to make it more structured. Also when you say you are using Data Loader for updating contacts, are you including Ids in the csv file?

// Build the maps for the Count and ActivityDate First

Map<String,Integer> callCountMap = new Map<String,Integer>();
	Map<String,Date>  callActivityMap = new Map<String,Date>();

for(AggregateResult r:[select COUNT(id), WhoId from Task where Whoid in :Trigger.new AND (Type = 'Cold Call' OR Type = 'Inbound Call' OR Type = 'Outbound Call') AND Status = 'Completed' AND isDeleted = False AND ActivityDate > 2009-12-31 LIMIT 250 ALL ROWS GROUP BY WhoId])
		callCountMap.put(String.valueof(r.get('WhoId'),Integer.valueof(r.get('expr0'));

for(Task t:[select activitydate, whoid from task where whoid in:trigger.new AND (Type = 'Cold Call' OR Type = 'Inbound Call' OR Type = 'Outbound Call') AND Status = 'Completed' AND isDeleted = False Order By ActivityDate asc LIMIT 1 ALL ROWS])
		callActivityMap.put(t.WhoId,t.activitydate);

// Iterate over the Trigger.new List and check if the Id exists in  the Map and assign value from Map		
  for(Contact c:Trigger.new) {   
    c.Calls__c = 0;   

if(callCountMap.get(c.Id) != null)
		c.Calls__c = callCountMap.get(c.Id);

if(callActivityMap.get(c.Id) != null)
		c.First_Call_Date__c = callActivityMap.get(c.Id);     
   }

}

All Answers

Can you try the below code. It does the same thing your code is doing, I just changed to make it more structured. Also when you say you are using Data Loader for updating contacts, are you including Ids in the csv file?

// Build the maps for the Count and ActivityDate First

Map<String,Integer> callCountMap = new Map<String,Integer>();
	Map<String,Date>  callActivityMap = new Map<String,Date>();

for(AggregateResult r:[select COUNT(id), WhoId from Task where Whoid in :Trigger.new AND (Type = 'Cold Call' OR Type = 'Inbound Call' OR Type = 'Outbound Call') AND Status = 'Completed' AND isDeleted = False AND ActivityDate > 2009-12-31 LIMIT 250 ALL ROWS GROUP BY WhoId])
		callCountMap.put(String.valueof(r.get('WhoId'),Integer.valueof(r.get('expr0'));

callActivityMap.put(t.WhoId,t.activitydate);

// Iterate over the Trigger.new List and check if the Id exists in  the Map and assign value from Map		
  for(Contact c:Trigger.new) {   
    c.Calls__c = 0;   

if(callCountMap.get(c.Id) != null)
		c.Calls__c = callCountMap.get(c.Id);

if(callActivityMap.get(c.Id) != null)
		c.First_Call_Date__c = callActivityMap.get(c.Id);     
   }

}

This was selected as the best answer
Blake TanonBlake Tanon

Yes I am including the ID.  I moved my code to production adn the numbers are not updating after a data load, but they did in sandbox.  I will give yours a try and let you know what I get.  Thank you.

Blake TanonBlake Tanon

I'm getting error: expecting a right parentheses, found ';' at line 9 column 86 - But at line9col86 there is a right parentheses?

Never mind I found the missing one.

Blake TanonBlake Tanon

I tried this with a single update of a record and teh call count works, however the date field still is not updating.  Did I write the query wrong?

I tested this by adding custom fields to Contact Object, and I am able to update both the Calls__c and First_Call_Date__c fields on Contact when a update happens. 

Can you please confirm if First_Call_Date__c is defined as Date field? Also it would be helpful if you can paste the debug log to see where its going wrong.

Blake TanonBlake Tanon

This worked, I was looking at the wrong field in sandbox.  Thank you so much for your help!