function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ericmonteericmonte 

geolocation query beta concerns

Hey guys,

I need  the community's opinion on using geolocation. I'm currently creating a dynamic query of GeoLocation datatype field and using it with a Web Service.

So my concern are:

1. Should I continue to use the GeoLocation field in my query even though it is in BETA? And besides the limitation that is in the winter 13 release, are there are any other limitation I should worry about since this is still in beta?

my sample code is below:

String add1 = 'Select Id, Account__r.Name, Account__r.Type__c, Name, GeoLocation__Latitude__s, GeoLocation__Longitude__s, (select id, Name, Certification__c, HCP_Account__r.Name from HCP_Authorized__r) ';
    	add1 += 'from Address__c where Account__r.Type__c includes (\'Business\') ';
    	add1 += 'and Distance(GeoLocation__c, GEOLOCATION('+strLat +',' +strLong +'), \'mi\') < ' +rad;

2. Will there be a chance that SFDC will eliminate the geoLocation Datat Type in the future?

3. And is there another solution besides using a GeoLocation Data Type and query distance of the Latitude and Longitude? For example I can create 2 fields for Latitude and Longitude and use those field to add in my query instead of using the new GeoLocation.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
joshbirkjoshbirk

The beta tag is more of a sign that the feature might change in the future.  There's no plans to drop it, and there would be no other way to get the platform based calculation for distance without it.

All Answers

joshbirkjoshbirk

The beta tag is more of a sign that the feature might change in the future.  There's no plans to drop it, and there would be no other way to get the platform based calculation for distance without it.

This was selected as the best answer
ericmonteericmonte

SWEEET!!! Thanks once again! I guess I can continue to use the code :)