function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DIEHARDDIEHARD 

Modify Event trigger to include a list of contacts instead of invitees

The trigger below parses the Description field to obtain an email address.  It then associates the email address with a contact using a query, and then finally inserts the contact into the invitee list of the event.   It then loops back to parse new addresses and continue the process. The trigger works but I  need to modify it to create a list of contacts instead of invitees when shared activities is enabled..  Does anyone have an idea?  I know it's not a good idea to include a query inside a for loop but since we are dealing with multiple invitees then I don't know a way around it. 

Trigger ParseAndAddInvites on Event(after insert) {

List<string> elist;

LIST<Contact> contacts;  

EventRelation er;

string qemail;

String input;

String[] splitInput;

for(Event e: Trigger.new) {

// Create a list of emails by using ';' as delimeter      

input = e.Description;

if(input != null){

input = input.replace('\r',' ');

input = input.replace('\n',' ');

input = input.replace('\t',' ');

splitInput = input.split(' ');

}         

elist = new List<String>( splitInput );

// Iterate through the list if not empty

if (!elist.isEmpty())

for(Integer j = 0; j < elist.size(); j++){

if(elist[j].contains('@') && elist[j].contains('.')){

qemail = elist[j].trim();

contacts = null;

// Query for contact name and  contact ID, associated with recipient email address

contacts = new List<Contact>([Select ID,Email,Name from Contact where Email = :qemail]);

// Create and insert new attendee using queried contact and event info

if(!contacts.isEmpty()){

er = new EventRelation(EventId = e.ID, RelationId = contacts[0].ID);

insert er;                      

}

}

}                      

}

}

Shailesh DeshpandeShailesh Deshpande
I think you should first store the email address in a set. Then make a query to fetch the contacts whose Email is present in the set. Then continue with your regular process and check if set contains email present at elist[j]. This way you dont have to make a query in the for loop. Also when you find a matching email create a list of event relation, add them to the list and then insert the list outside the for loop.
DIEHARDDIEHARD

Hi Shailesh,

I have one question.  Do you know how I can modify the event relation so that I can add a list of contacts instead of invitees.

I used: "new EventRelation(EventId = e.ID, RelationId = contacts[0].ID)" to add invitees but what should I do to add contacts?

Thank you Shailesh and  I appreciate your quick response. 

Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar

Do you mean that you want to add more than one contact,if that is so then try below :--

for(Integer i =0;i<=contacts.size();i++){

if(!contacts.isEmpty()){

er = new EventRelation(EventId = e.ID, RelationId = contacts[i].ID);

insert er;    

}

}

DIEHARDDIEHARD

No. The code above will add more than one invitee to the event.  But, I don't want to add them as invitees.  I need to add them as contacts.  Any ideas?

Vinit_KumarVinit_Kumar

What you mean  by adding them as contacts because they are already Contacts from the below code :-

contacts = new List<Contact>([Select ID,Email,Name from Contact where Email = :qemail]);

In that case you simply need to specify "isInvitee = false" for the EventRelation object. Please refer the below link:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/Content/sforce_api_objects_eventattendee.htm
DIEHARDDIEHARD

What I want to do is insert them as invitees who has already accepted the event or as a contact that has the event in his calendar.  The invitee needs to have the event in his Open Activities related list.  By adding "isInvitee = false" doesn't seem to work.

DIEHARDDIEHARD

I got it to work but I had to include "isParent = true" in addition to "isInvitee = false"

Cool.. Thanks for sharing.