function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GatorGator 

Create custom object records under Opportunity with data from 2 diff custom objects under Opp

I have two custom objects under the Opportunity object and I'd like to make a trigger that creates a third set of custom object records.

Custom object one is 'RepSplit__c': contains a Sales Rep (user lookup id) and Percentage Split (percentage)

Custom object two is 'OppPayment__c': contains a Date and amount of money received (currency) and amount of money initially expected (currency)

Third custom object titled 'RepRevShare__c' -- Opportunity, Percentage, Expected Amount, Actual Amount, Date, Amount of Money Received * Percentage (formula), 

I want to have RepRevShare records be the combination of the other two objects, so if I have RepSplit1,2,and 3...and OppPayments A,B... then I want to trigger creation of six records:

RepRevShare1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, and 3B

All this to have matrix reporting where my Reps are on the Y axis and Months are on the X axis, with money in the middle!

So here goes with my little programming knowledge...

My thinking was I need the following actions:

before insert,update,delete of a RepSplit or an OppPayment --   clear/delete all RepRevShare records under the related Opportunity

after insert,update,delete pf a RepSplit or an OppPayment -- create all new RepRevShare records

Is this possible?  I've been working my way through coding bits and pieces but my guess is there is a far easier way to code this.

GatorGator

Is this thinking correct?  

for CustomObject 1 & 2  before update, before insert, before delete:

• locate related Opportunity id
  • query all RepRevShare records (CustomObject3) under that Opp id
  • delete all RepRevShare records under that opp id

for CustomObject 1 & 2 after update, after insert, after delete:

• locate related Opportunity id
  • create a list of CustomObject1 records that are under that opportunity with fields [CO1 id, Rep, Percent]
  • create a list of CustomObject2 records that are under that opportunity with fields [CO2 id, Date, ActualAmount, ExpectedAmount]
  • for each record in list 1 { for each record in list 2 {    insert RepRevShare record with
  1. Opp info [Opp lookup field, other opp info]
  2. CustomObject1 info [Rep, Percent]
  3. CustomObject2 info [Date, ActualAmount, ExpectedAmount]      }}

I know coupled 'for' statements is messy...

ItswasItswas

Hi Gator ,

trigger createnewRecordsUnderOpp for RepSplit__c(before insert)
{
Set<Id> obJopp = new Setr<Id>();
for(RepSplit__c opp : Trigger.New)
{
obJopp.add(opp.opportunityId);
}
List<RepRevShare__c> objRepRevShare = new List<RepRevShare__c>();
List<RepSplit__c> objRepsplit = [select id,Name form RepSplit__c where opportunityId in : obJopp];
List<OppPayment__c> objOppPayment = [select id,Name form RepSplit__c where opportunityId in : obJopp];
for(RepSplit__c objRepSp : objRepsplit)
{for(OppPayment__c objOppPay : objOppPayment)
{RepRevShare__c objRepRevShare = new RepRevShare__c();
objRepRevSharel.Name = objRepSp.Name + objOppPay.Name ;
objRepRevShare.add(objRepRevSharel);}}}

Above code is the small sniipet of code for befor creation on RepSplit Object same type of trigger also created on OppPayment__c for upadte and insert.
Please try from your end and let me know if any further doubt.

GatorGator

Thanks!  looks like the only current problem is on

line:  {RepRevShare__c objRepRevShare = new RepRevShare__c();

error message: "Duplicate variable: objRepRevShare (attempt to re-create the variable with type:RepRevShare__c)"

ItswasItswas

Hi gator,

Please rename objRepRevShare to objRepRevShre means

RepRevShare__c objRepRevShre = new RepRevShare__c();

and try from your end and post it wheteher it works.

GatorGator

deleted

GatorGator

Got it!  Thanks again!  Except...  still running into a problem when I try to delete a RepSplit to trigger --

Error:

'There were custom validation error(s) encountered while saving the affected record(s). The first validation error encountered was "Apex trigger createnewRecordsUnderOpp caused an unexpected exception, contact your administrator: createnewRecordsUnderOpp: execution of AfterDelete caused by: System.NullPointerException: Attempt to de-reference a null object: Trigger.createnewRecordsUnderOpp: line 5, column 1".'

See full code below:

--------------

trigger createnewRecordsUnderOpp on RepSplit__c (after insert, after update, before delete) {

Set<Id> obJopp = new Set<Id>();

for(RepSplit__c opp : Trigger.New)
{
obJopp.add(opp.Opportunity__c);
}

List<RepRevShare__c> objRepRevShare = new List<RepRevShare__c>();
List<RepSplit__c> objRepsplit = [select id,Name,Opportunity__c, SplitPercent__c, Rep__c from RepSplit__c where Opportunity__c in : obJopp];
List<OppPayment__c> objOppPayment = [select id, Name, Opportunity__c, Opp_Product__c, Date__c, Amount__c, Booked__c from OppPayment__c where Opportunity__c in : obJopp];

for(RepSplit__c objRepSp : objRepsplit){
     for(OppPayment__c objOppPay : objOppPayment){
          RepRevShare__c objRepRevSharel = new RepRevShare__c();
         objRepRevSharel.Name = objRepSp.Name + objOppPay.Name ;
         objRepRevSharel.Opportunity__c = objRepSp.Opportunity__c ;
         objRepRevSharel.Percent__c = objRepSp.SplitPercent__c ;
         objRepRevSharel.Rep__c = objRepSp.Rep__c ;
         objRepRevSharel.Booked__c = objOppPay.Booked__c ;
         objRepRevSharel.Amount__c = objOppPay.Amount__c ;
         objRepRevSharel.Date__c = objOppPay.Date__c ;
          objRepRevShare.add(objRepRevSharel);
}}

insert(objRepRevShare);
}

GatorGator

Also, one other element I need is to first locate the Opportunityid and delete all the current RepRevShare records before running this and creating new records.  Again, truly appreciate the help!