function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ekarthikekarthik 

how to display Validation Rule error message in visual force page

hi

I have crated a object called  project , it contains project name , start date and end date . I need to validate end date must be grater than start date . For this i write validatation rule 

Error Condition Formula

Project_Start__c > Project_End__c

It works well when i open in  separate tab . But in main page, i entered all details include  strat and end date , then save the details it needs to show error message. But i dont get any error message and the page closed. The value not showed in obeject(works correctly) . but  i need to show the error message and the page need not to be closed automatically. how to chive this .Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

oncomplete means as soon as the request has completed, not when it is successful.

You'll need to set a value in the controller and then render some javascript conditionally that closes the window if the record saved correctly.

While its not an exact match for your requirements, the following blog post contains an example of taking some action after a record has saved:

http://bobbuzzard.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/refreshing-record-detail-from-embedded.html

All Answers

kiranmutturukiranmutturu
page is with standard controller or not?
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

I wouldn't expect the page to close.  If you have a pagemessages component on the page, that should display the error message.

ekarthikekarthik

HI

I am in need to close the page when save button click if it has correct value so i write 

<apex:commandButton id="save-btn" styleclass="save-btn" action="{!saveNewProject}" value="Save"  onComplete="closePage();"/>

in Closepage  javascript i close the page using javascript.   if i remove   onComplete="closePage(); . then it works fine.

I need both operation .

1. when correct value enters it need to save and automatically close

2. If wrong value it need to show the error and need not to be closed .

How to achieve this 

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

oncomplete means as soon as the request has completed, not when it is successful.

You'll need to set a value in the controller and then render some javascript conditionally that closes the window if the record saved correctly.

While its not an exact match for your requirements, the following blog post contains an example of taking some action after a record has saved:

http://bobbuzzard.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/refreshing-record-detail-from-embedded.html

This was selected as the best answer