function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DeekDeek 

Trigger creating duplicate Case records

Hi,

I have a requirement to create a Case when the Oppportunity Stage is set to "Closed Won".

Below is the trigger that is doing this job. The problem is, its creating duplicates Case records when the Stage is set to "Closed Won".

Where Am i doing wrong?

Please advise.

trigger createNewCase on Opportunity (after update) {
List<Case> listcase = new List<Case>();
for(Opportunity o:trigger.new) {

Opportunity oldopp = trigger.OldMap.get(o.id);

if(o.StageName == 'Closed Won') {

//here APN_Related_Opportunity__c is lookup to Opportunity record for which new record is created

listCase.add(
new Case(APN_Related_Opportunity__c = o.id,

Subject = o.Name,
AccountId=o.AccountId,
Priority = 'Medium',
Status = 'New'));
}

}

if(listcase.size()>0) {
insert listcase;
}
}

Sean TanSean Tan

Is it creating a duplicate everytime the first time the opportunity is set to Closed Won? Or do you mean it's creating extra cases for every subsequent edit of the opportunity afterwards?

If it's the former, the code seems like it will work for the initial update, if that's not the case could there be something else triggering an extra update on the opportunity object (aka workflow rule) which is causing the trigger to fire a second time?

Regardless you can probably just check on subsequent updates to make sure that the StageName is actually changing before the case is created:

trigger createNewCase on Opportunity (after update) {
    for(Opportunity o:trigger.new) {

Opportunity oldopp = trigger.OldMap.get(o.id);

if(oldopp.StageName != o.StageName && o.StageName == 'Closed Won') {

//here APN_Related_Opportunity__c is lookup to Opportunity record for which new record is created
            listCase.add(
                Subject = o.Name,
                AccountId=o.AccountId,
                Priority = 'Medium',
                Status = 'New'));
        }

}

if(listcase.size()>0) {
        insert listcase;
    }
}

This should cause the case to be created only if the case stage name was changed to closed won (the first time). Of course this won't work if the record was changed from Closed Won to something else, then changed back. If that's part of the requirements then you'll probably want to query on the case object to make sure there is no record with thats linked to that particular opportunity.

DeekDeek

Hi Sean,

Sorry If I have confused you.

Scenario 1--When I create a new Oppty and directly save as "Closed Won", it creates a single Case. This is OK.

Scenario 2--

I create a new Opty and save it with Stage Name as (for e.g "New Proposal"). Then I edit and change the Stage Name as "Closed Won", which creates 2 Case records simultaneously.

Please let me know If I am not clear. Please advise.

Sean TanSean Tan

Hmm the code you pasted is slightly off from the scenarios you're describing. The trigger code would only handle after updates so inserts wouldn't work. Do you have multiple triggers on the Opportunity object?

DeekDeek

There are no other triggers at the moment in Oppty.

I am absolutely new to apex coding. If you could suggest the write code or modify my existing code I would be grateful.

My req is whenever the Opty stage is set to "Closed Won" it should create a new Case.

Sean TanSean Tan

Try this:

trigger createNewCase on Opportunity (after insert, after update) 
{
    for(Opportunity o: Trigger.new)
    {
        //If the new stage name is closed won and we're either in insert context or
        //updating and the old stage name is not the same as the new stage name
        if ( o.StageName == 'Closed Won' && ( Trigger.isInsert || ( Trigger.isUpdate && Trigger.oldMap.get(o.Id).StageName != o.StageName ) ) )              
        {

listCase.add(
                Subject = o.Name,
                AccountId=o.AccountId,
                Priority = 'Medium',
                Status = 'New'));
        }

}

if(listcase.size()>0)
    {
        insert listcase;
    }