function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
megan.burchmegan.burch 

Dynamic Assignment in Trigger

Hi, 

I'm writing a trigger that pulls user names from a custom object and writes them to a field on another custom object. There are up to 4 fields that could be updated. That all works, the problem is I want to do it for every name that is not the owner on the object I'm writing to and if conditions are too complicated since any of the names could be the owner. My trigger is below. Any suggestions? 

trigger SharedMMTrigger on RM_Requests__c (before insert, before update) {

//iterate through all requests passed to the trigger
    RM_requests__c[]requests = Trigger.new;
    for (RM_requests__c RM: requests){ 

{  

List <account> accounts = [select id, name, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__c, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared1__c, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared2__c, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared_3__c, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager__c from account where id = :rm.account__c];    
       System.debug(' market assignment = ' + rm.account__c);

for (account a : accounts){
              if (a.geojunction__c !=null)
              if(rm.shared_market_Account__c == 'yes')
              {
                  if (rm.owner.id != a.GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared1__c){
             rm.Market_Manager_Shared1__c = a.GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared1__c;
                  }
                      else 
                          rm.Market_Manager_Shared1__c = a.GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared2__c;

if (rm.owner.id != a.GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared2__c){
             rm.Market_Manager_Shared2__c = a.GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared2__c;
                  }
                  else 
                      rm.Market_Manager_Shared2__c = a.GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared_3__c;

if (rm.owner.id != a.GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared_3__c){
             rm.Market_Manager_Shared3__c = a.GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared_3__c;
                  }
                  else rm.Market_Manager_Shared3__c = a.GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared1__c;
        }
     }                                                                         
    }
  }
}

liron169liron169

I don't see problem with the complicated if, as those 4 different fields.

But I thougth of 2 issues:

1.You have select inside the loop, which might cause issues if you will update bulk of data.
Better can be something like:

list<String> accidLst=new list<String>();

//collect all acoutn ID's
for(RM_requests__c req : Trigger.new)
    accidLst.add(req.account__c);

//retreie all accounts

list<Account> account_Lst= [    select id, name, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__c, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared1__c, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared2__c, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager_Shared_3__c, GeoJunction__r.Market_Assignments__r.Market_Manager__c
            from account where id IN :accidLst];

//in the loop work with the account_lst instead running select query each time.

2.Did you check if this can be done without code? means with workflow (4 workflow in this case)?

megan.burchmegan.burch

Thanks! Yes, I checked that I couldn't do it with a workflow. 

The 'if' gets complicated becuase any of the 4 users could be in any of the 4 fields.

so if mm1 is not the owner put in mmshared 1 if it is the owner then move on to mmshared 2 etc.... 

I'll try putting the query outside the for loop. 

Thanks!