function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Bhushan2710Bhushan2710 

Accessing privately share file

There is file that has been shared privately by a user with some set of users on chatter.

I can view that file from the UI, but when i look into contentVersion i don't see a record for this file.

Why being an administrator, its not vissible in contentVersion object?

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hello,

For the private files only the file owner and users with “Modify All Data” permission can find and view this file, unless it is in a personal library, then only the file owner has access to it.

I believe the file has been stored in the personal library of the user that is why it is not visible to you(System administrator with modify all permission) in content version object.

Bhushan2710Bhushan2710

The user is posting a file on the record in chatter feed. So i believe, if you are uploading a file on a record in chatter feed, its sharing is set to private by default, and only that user/owner can see the file in ContentVersion. Am I right?

If So; is there a work around to get this file. I need to export all the files that are being shared via chatter for archiving.

Thanks,
Bhushan

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hi Bhushan,

Even if it is private System administrator and users with modify all permission can access the file unless file is in Personal library of the user. If file is in personal library, then only the file owner has access to it.

So the file which you are not able to access is in user's Personal library, for accessing that file please ask that user to move that fiel to some other library from personal library and then you would be able to acess the file even if it is private.

Anything which is in personal library/folder is only accessible to the individual user. This is as per design and unfortunately can not be changed as this would be against security model. You can export all the files except which are in the Personal folders of the users.

Reference: https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=collab_files_settings_perms.htm&language=en_US