function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mlmilnermlmilner 

How do I see what lines are not covered?

I have a simple trigger that works in the sandbox, does exactly what I want it to do. Cannot get code coverage above 40%.

I also do not know how to see what code is not covered. The test class below was pieced together from samples I found.

Any help would be appreciated!

Trigger:

trigger Pharmacy_Demo_Completed on Task (before insert){
   for (Task T : trigger.new){
      string TaskProfile = 'Implementation Director';
      string TaskSubject = t.subject;
      string TaskType = 'Send Contracts';
      if (TaskSubject == 'Pharmacy Demo Completed'){
          List <User> usr = [select Id from User where Profile.Name =:TaskProfile limit 1];
          system.debug (Usr.size());

If (Usr.size() < 1){
             system.debug ('No entries found for ');}

if (usr.size() > 0){
                User u = [select Id ,name from User where Profile.Name =:TaskProfile limit 1];
                t.ownerid = u.id;
                t.type = TaskType;}

}
}
}
Test Class: (Saves without error)

@isTest
public class Taskusertest2 {
    List<Task> insertedTasks = new List<Task>{};
    static testMethod void myUnitTest() {
    for(Integer i = 0; i < 100; i++)    
        {Task t = new Task();
            t.IsRecurrence = FALSE;
            t.sma__CreatedLocationVerified__c = FALSE;
            t.IsReminderSet = FALSE;
            t.MA_Clean_State__c = 'tx';
            t.Subject = 'Testing';
            t.Type = 'Research';
            t.Priority = 'Normal';
            t.Description = 'Task Class Test';
            t.Status__c = 'Demo Scheduled';
            t.Status = 'Completed';
        insert t;}

List<Task> insertedTasks = [SELECT Description
                                                FROM Task
                                                WHERE Status = 'Demo Scheduled'];
         {for(Task t : insertedTasks)
          System.assertEquals(
          'This Task is probably left over from testing. It should probably be deleted.',
          t.Description);}

}}

crop1645crop1645

Method 1: Go to Developer Console, select Test | New Run | <your test class> and run.  Once completed, the test coverage is shown in the Overall Code Coverage pane; double click the test class. This displays the Apex code and you can see in red the lines that are not covered. (You may need to choose the 'All test xx%' submenu to see the red (uncovered lines))

Method2 - Use Eclipse IDE - run tests - results shows code coverage by line number uncovered

souvik9086souvik9086

Go to ApexClasses -> Your Class - Beside the name of your class there is a column called Code Coverage. In that column your classes' code coverage is showing. If you click on that link then it will show what lines are not covered.

If this post is helpful please throw Kudos.If this post solves your problem kindly mark it as solution.

Thanks

KamsR_DEVKamsR_DEV

Hi, 

You can see the no of lines covered by cliking on the link that shows how much percentage is there for the class or trigger.

Otherwise, go to Setup>Developer Console, click on Tests.

There your trigger will show the percentage covered. Click on your trigger. Now you can see the lines covered by blue colored lines and Red colored lines are nor covered.

Now, if the trigger is written for event while inserting means you need to insert the dummy data in your test class and lines will get covered.

If trigger is meant to update means first inert dummy data with the criteria you mentioned in trigger, and then update some value for that criteria.

Hope this will help you...!

mlmilnermlmilner
Thank you, that helps. Now I just need to find out how to increase coverage. Cannot get over 55%.

Michael L. Milner
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst / Salesforce Administrator
10100 Reunion Place, Suite 700, San Antonio, Texas 78216
o 210-587-3486 ext. 132 / f 210-576-0420
michael.milner@capturerx.com

[cid:image001.png@01CEB829.75FD0850]

[cid:image002.png@01CEB829.75FD0850] [cid:image003.png@01CEB829.75FD0850] [cid:image004.png@01CEB829.75FD0850] [cid:image005.png@01CEB829.75FD0850]
CaptureRx is a DBA under NEC Networks LLC. The information in this
email may be confidential and/or privileged. This email is intended
to be reviewed only by the individual or organization named above.
If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative
of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any, and
any use or disclosure of the information contained herein, is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify
the sender by email or telephone and permanently delete this email
from your system.
mlmilnermlmilner
Thank you!

Michael L. Milner
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst / Salesforce Administrator
10100 Reunion Place, Suite 700, San Antonio, Texas 78216
o 210-587-3486 ext. 132 / f 210-576-0420
michael.milner@capturerx.com

[cid:image001.png@01CEB82B.6770E700]

[cid:image002.png@01CEB82B.6770E700] [cid:image003.png@01CEB82B.6770E700] [cid:image004.png@01CEB82B.6770E700] [cid:image005.png@01CEB82B.6770E700]
CaptureRx is a DBA under NEC Networks LLC. The information in this
email may be confidential and/or privileged. This email is intended
to be reviewed only by the individual or organization named above.
If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative
of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any, and
any use or disclosure of the information contained herein, is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify
the sender by email or telephone and permanently delete this email
from your system.
docbilldocbill
Salesforce must have done something that broke this since September 23, 2013.   I can see percentage of coverage for each test.   But no matter what I do, there is no highlighting to show which lines of code are covered.   I see a red color used for all strings.  A blue for primative objects such as String and Boolean, a purple to show words like public, final, new, Map, List.   A brown shows comments.   But it no color seems to indicate tested v.s. not tested.
docbilldocbill
I found the trick.  It seems under preferences you can select editor theme.   If you leave it at default, then there is no indicator to tell you what lines are covered.   But at least for some of the themes there is coverage indicator, based on what you currently select as "Code Coverage".
salesforceapexsalesforceapex
Hi docbill, could you please tell the steps. where should I find the preference, so that i can select the editor theme.
Appreciate it.
docbilldocbill
This has changed several times since 2014.   It looks like the current way to access this prefecnce is you open the developer console, selec help, and then preferences.   However, default works again.   Well sort of.   It has been at least 4 years since correct lines have been highlighted for covered v.s. not covered.   Often I'll see comment like between methods marked as not covered, and code that I know is not covered marked as covered...    Sometimes though it is close enough to the right lines to provide me the clue I need...

For the most part, a better strategy is just to design your code so you are certain your test classes will have 100% coverage.   Then you can just move one to seeing if you tested all the possible condition values.   There are some best practices that really help.   The biggest the original poster missed, is ALWAYS write your trigger code in a class.   Your trigger should need to do little more than invoke your class.   If you need more that three lines of code in a trigger, you are probably not following best practices.   Second, design your trigger classes to take Map's, and Lists, etc as parameters so they do not need to reference the Trigger object.   That way your test class will not have to do DML operations to test your trigger class, just your 3 lines (or less) trigger.   A third is to split your code into methods that take an parameters adequate to make it easy to unit test all conditions.

I tend to take things what step further.   When it does not have a significant impact on performance, I try to make every condition step through every line of code.    That way I can have one very simple test that will give me 100% coverage, and I can spend almost all my time working on what is most needed to make sure the code continues to work after future refactoring.   Or better if you are doing test driven development, that your test will work once you implement the new functionality.

salesforceapexsalesforceapex
Docbill, thanks a lot for clearly explaining and giving awesome suggestion. This is really useful. Appreciate your time in responding.
Thanks again.