function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFDC-NOOBSFDC-NOOB 

Question about triggers

Greetings,

Need help with logic--

I have a work flow rule that stamps a "Date submitted" field when a record enters the approval process.  I want to fire a trigger to send an email to a specified user 4 hours after the date submitted field is stamped with the current date/time.  With that said, I looked into an asynchronous trigger to send the email but I don't think this is the best option since I cannot control the time the trigger fires.  Does anyone have a recommendation on how I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
myforcedotcommyforcedotcom

Please verify that this is what you have in place.

you have a Workflow rule that sets the Date Submitted field = now() based on some criteria.

If that is the case you could add a time dependent action to that existing workflow to send an email alert 4 hours after that Date Submitted Date/Time

All Answers

Hi Josh,

You can also do this with time dependent Workflow unless you've selected the "created, and every time it’s edited" option.

If you selected the third option "created, and any time it’s edited to subsequently meet criteria" you can add a time dependent workflow action to send the email.

SFDC-NOOBSFDC-NOOB

Thank you for your reply,

I don't think it's possible to have a time dependent work flow on a formula field.  "Date_submitted__c" = NOW() when the record enters the approval process.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I tried that before.

Best Regards,

Josh

Please verify that this is what you have in place.

you have a Workflow rule that sets the Date Submitted field = now() based on some criteria.

If that is the case you could add a time dependent action to that existing workflow to send an email alert 4 hours after that Date Submitted Date/Time

This was selected as the best answer
SFDC-NOOBSFDC-NOOB

As it turns out, it is a field update that stamps the formula date_submitted field when the record enters the approval process.  I can actually use a lookup field (Since this field clears after app/rej) to trigger the email.  Thanks for your help!!