function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Shane_CRShane_CR 

New Project In Visualforce

Hi All,

We are building a customize application and entire team is new to visualforce. So please help and guide us.

We have set of questions and request everyone to answer.

1. Where should we keep application images, either in static resources or images folder (creating new folder under documents).
  2. Where should we keep common JavaScript, either in static resources or script folder (creating new folder under documents).
  3. Where should we keep stylesheets, either in static resources or CSS folder (creating new folder under documents).
  4. We want to create a data access layer similar like sqlhelper.cs (.NET). This data access layer will perform insert, delete, update and select operations on custom objects. Is there any sample code or example?
  5. Is there is naming convention document which is given by salesforce.
  6. We have a requirement for uploading documents from client browser to salesforce. Can we have the sample code or example?
  7. How can we implement paging (like 1, 2, 3, 4, etc) while displaying thousands of records?
  8. Can we have error handling code sample which we can use in apex classes and custom controller classes.
  9. Architecture of the application is like Presentation layer (Containing visualforce pages and Custom controller classes), Business layer (customize Apex classes) and data layer (one single class like sqlhelper.cs in .NET). So please suggest
  10. Write now we have some understanding of Apex Data Loader, Apex explorer, eclipse, visualforce pages in-line editor. Please suggest if there any other tools which can be used by our team for rapid development

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Regards

Shane
Ron HessRon Hess
I'll try to answer a few of these, but as you may have guessed, there is more than one correct answer to most questions.

1. use static resources
2. use static resources
3. use static resources
4. this layer is built into the platform, you are free to abstract it, but i'm not sure what this is intended to achieve since the primitive database operations are built into the language.
you would end up with methods like this :

class layer { public void myupdate( custom__c c ) { update c; } }

perhaps i'm missing some requirements.

5. not really, just the developer prefix if you plan to publish, search the documents for this term.
6. This is built into the platform, just train your users to load documents into the documents tab.
7. Please check out the < apex : listview tag, or write your own custom component that does paging.
8. Please read about < apex : messages , new feature for summer 08
9. ok, that is fine, what value is the data layer intended to add?
10. I use Eclipse, firebug ( in firefox), and the System Log window, sometimes i use the Debug Log found in the setup area (adjust na5 to match your server: https://na5.salesforce.com/p/setup/layout/ApexDebugLogEdit)
Shane_CRShane_CR

Thanx Ron for the support. With your answers, all the team members are pleased and project has been kicked off.

Please look into this and provide some pointers.

1. We are building a custom form (Using visualforce) which requires users to upload documents. So, please tell us, is it possible to upload documents (in documents folder). Our will be custom application which will be hosted by Salesforce as partner portal 

2. We need to display many lists in application, is there any generic method or way to generate dynamic list. For example, class

public class MyClass

{     

String column1;  

String column2; 

// properties - get and set

}

so we are creating List<MyClass> myClass

myClass = [SOQL block]

So the problem is, everytime time to display a new list, we are creating custom classes. Is there any work around?

3. We need to many custom component in application and few custom component need to fetch the data from custom-objects. So please tell us, is it possible? Can you please provide sample code?

4. get property is not working in eclipse version 3. Even it is not highlighted as a keyword. We are using the same syntax as mentioned in salesforce_apex_language_reference.pdf (Apex property). Please provide some pointers

Regards

Shane, CR

Ron HessRon Hess
I've never built to multipart form that is used for the document upload, but you can see how its' done, look at the page source for the new document upload page.

2. custom classes are normal for custom lists, for sobjects they have their own getters

3. I don't understand this question

4. get property is not yet released, this is coming in summer 08, the documents you have are specifying a release that you do not yet have, sorry. This is about two weeks away.
Shane_CRShane_CR

Question 3:

Can visualforce custom compontent interact with custom object (for fetching, inserting, updating and deleting data) ? We want to build custom compontent (User Control in .NET)

Can you please provide us some sample code for the same.

Regards

Shane

Ron HessRon Hess
Yes, it can. this is done via Apex Code in a controller or by using a custom controller, these topics are documented with sample code in the developers guide.

from this description , i think you can just use a custom object standard controller, perhaps with no code at all. once you have a standard controller in your page you can get the data with simple expresions like
{!custom__c.name} and you can save the data with the action="{!save}"