function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
wsws 

Latest Microsoft Outlook 2003 security patch may affect send and add functionality with Outlook Edition 2

Word just in ...

Apparently the latest Microsoft Outlook 2003 security patch released on the 8th January 2007 may affect the send and add functionality with Outlook Edition 2.

The link to the Microsoft Outlook 2003 security patch can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924085

You can get more information, including work arounds from Salesforce.com by searching for solution 6135.

I'm curious to hear if other users have been experiencing problems after installing this security patch?

Harry JamesHarry James

I don't have occasion to use the Send & Add functionality much, but this post prompted me to test Outlook Edition 2.0 and Outlook 2003.  Since I don't use the function much, I can't say whether the MS patch prompted this behavior, but......

I have a number of ISP and web email accounts sorted into various Send/Receive groups.  I only have one group at a time set up to do an automatic send/receive - depending upon how I am connecting.

When I tested Outlook 2.0 Send & Add, the email was sent and added to Salesforce normally and Outlook did not crash.  However, it immediately kicked off an Outlook send/receive of all my email accounts and Send/Receive groups.  Very strange.

AndersAnders
Hi,

My Outlook 2003 started crashing after installing the recently released security patch when performing a "Send and add to Salesforce". I uninstalled it and it now works fine :smileyhappy:
mattberrymanmattberryman
Hi,

I have been searching for more information about this issue, but can not find any reference to solution 6135. I would be grateful if you could please provide a bit more specific issue regarding this problem.

Many thanks, Matt
sprotsmansprotsman
We are having the same problem with patched Outlook 2003 clients. It is frustrating for users.
Kerry StangeKerry Stange
Posted from salesforce.com solution 6135

Does the latest Microsoft patch impact Outlook Edition? (Outlook 2003: January 9, 2007)
Running Outlook Edition 2.0 with the new security patch can crash Outlook under certain conditions. Since Microsoft released its latest security update (Outlook 2003: January 9, 2007), Salesforce has received multiple reports of Outlook Edition 2.0 failing while running under this patch.

This error CAN BE AVOIDED by using Word as your email editor. To change your Outlook editor, go to: "Options | Mail Format | Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages".

Error details:
Affected functionality - 'Send and Add Email'. O2 correctly adds the email as a task to Salesforce and moves the email to the Outbox. At this point Outlook crashes. After restarting Outlook, the email is still in the Outbox and is sent correctly.

For more information from Microsoft on this patch, go to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924085

Update (Jan18/07)
The Salesforce Development team has found the source of the Microsoft patch error described above, and a solution has been identified. That solution will be posted here as soon as it is available.
mattberrymanmattberryman
Hi Kerry,

Many thanks for that extra information - very useful.

However, I'm still at a loss as to where these solutions are posted. I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks, Matt
Harry JamesHarry James

I, too, would like to know how to find a solution by its number.  There used to be a "Public Knowledgebase" (name?) that had SFDC Solutions by Category.  I had a link to it:

http://www.crmsuccess.com/solutions-knowledgebase.jsp

Now, that link simply takes me to the Successforce home page.  Finding solutions through the "Help & Training" link just does not cut it.

I would guess that when this problem is fixed, that a new version of Outlook Edition will be made available. (???)

sprotsmansprotsman
The suggestion posted in 6135 doesn't necessarily work. Here are two examples:

1) User has Outlook 2003, not the full office suite. Therefore, there is no way to use Word as their email editor.
2) Another user has Outlook 2003 and Word 2000. Outlook 2003 will not let you use Word 2000 as your editor.

In both of those scenarios the solution (workaround) is insufficient.
Harry JamesHarry James
I note today that there is a new Outlook Edition version available - 2.0.2.3 
wsws
Has anyone - who was previously having this problem - installed the new version of Outlook Edition? Can you confirm that it fixed the issue?
mattberrymanmattberryman
I was never too inconvenienced by the original issue, but a couple of my colleagues were, so I suggested that a they try the updated version of the Outlook plug-in, and they have reported that it appears to have resolved their issues - and have not reported any side-effects of making the upgrade.

If this changes, I'll post an update.

Regards, Matt
GarySHGarySH
I have been having this problem, and so I installed the latest release: Salesforce Outlook Edition 2.0 version 2.0.2.3. I am still having the problem when I click send and add to salesforce. I am using Outlook 2003 and Word 2003 as my email editor. Very frustrating!
zlatan24zlatan24
My familiars use one tool which works with corrupted mails,tool is ordinary,but when I was in serious unpleasant situaion tool helped me and to my mind this is general thing in it-[url=http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/fix_outlook.html]outlook file fix[/url],besides that program has free status as is known,it is used by a great many of individuals and businesses every day for a wide variety of tasks that require 100% stability and reliability: storing emails, business and personal contacts, as well as other important information, such as appointments, tasks and notes,restore data after internal software errors, power failures or hard drive crashes, let alone other possible reasons,can also be used to recover data from Microsoft Exchange .ost files and convert them into Microsoft Outlook .pst files,allows you to easily repair damaged .pst files and recover your information by making a few easy steps,knows how to fix Microsoft Outlook perfectly well, it will prompt you for the data recovery method you would like to use,saving the output data either as a single .pst file or as a set of .eml, .vcf and .txt files,can be easily imported by other applications supporting these formats, such as Microsoft Outlook Express or Windows Address Book.
zlatan24zlatan24
My familiars use one tool which works with corrupted mails,tool is ordinary,but when I was in serious unpleasant situaion tool helped me and to my mind this is general thing in it-[url=http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/fix_outlook.html]outlook file fix[/url],besides that program has free status as is known,it is used by a great many of individuals and businesses every day for a wide variety of tasks that require 100% stability and reliability: storing emails, business and personal contacts, as well as other important information, such as appointments, tasks and notes,restore data after internal software errors, power failures or hard drive crashes, let alone other possible reasons,can also be used to recover data from Microsoft Exchange .ost files and convert them into Microsoft Outlook .pst files,allows you to easily repair damaged .pst files and recover your information by making a few easy steps,knows how to fix Microsoft Outlook perfectly well, it will prompt you for the data recovery method you would like to use,saving the output data either as a single .pst file or as a set of .eml, .vcf and .txt files,can be easily imported by other applications supporting these formats, such as Microsoft Outlook Express or Windows Address Book.
zlatan24zlatan24
My familiars use one tool which works with corrupted mails,tool is ordinary,but when I was in serious unpleasant situaion tool helped me and to my mind this is general thing in it-outlook file fix,besides that program has free status as is known,it is used by a great many of individuals and businesses every day for a wide variety of tasks that require 100% stability and reliability: storing emails, business and personal contacts, as well as other important information, such as appointments, tasks and notes,restore data after internal software errors, power failures or hard drive crashes, let alone other possible reasons,can also be used to recover data from Microsoft Exchange .ost files and convert them into Microsoft Outlook .pst files,allows you to easily repair damaged .pst files and recover your information by making a few easy steps,knows how to fix Microsoft Outlook perfectly well, it will prompt you for the data recovery method you would like to use,saving the output data either as a single .pst file or as a set of .eml, .vcf and .txt files,can be easily imported by other applications supporting these formats, such as Microsoft Outlook Express or Windows Address Book.
wanda smithwanda smith
Free PST Recovery allows data recovery from the corrupted/damaged & inaccessible Outlook PST files into outlook personal files. This PST repair Software is very cooperative in recovery and if you have lost all hopes to recover information. This PST Recovery Software without problems  PST File data files without creating any problem.

Visit at: https://www.osttopstapp.com/pst-repair.html