function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CTU007CTU007 

outlook edition version 3 is installed, but mail merge is still not working with office 2007

Same error msg when doing mail merge:

Exception: CMMHost::GenMailMerge:Exception
Object variable or With block variable not set

sf outlook edition version: 3.1.0.0
MS office version: 2007
sf office edition: 1.3.2.2 

Any suggestion?
nicklsnickls
I have precisely the same issue. I thought my troubles were over when I was given access to the new outlook 2007 connector, but had not at that stage realised I was screwed for doing mail merge into word.

So. I cant quote now.

Unbelievable. According to other threads this has been known about for some time now (months) and although Outlook is working, Word/Excel etc are not.

Is there ANY workaround for this? Please.

gtwazzugtwazzu
Interesting...that is exactly the same error message I get when attempting to do an SFDC mail merge with OpenOffice instead of Word. If I could figure out what it means perhaps I could come up with a work around.
Legiant AdminLegiant Admin
I now have 10 sales reps that can not create Proposals, other docs and all have to go to 1 workstation we have set up to perform mail merge with Office Word 2003

We were told Mid April, now we are getting serious attitude from the users

Exception:CMMHost::GenMailMergeException Object variable or With block variable not set

CTU007CTU007

I was also told by sfdc support that the new office edition should be available in Mid-April to support mail merge in office 2007.

But it is Apr 26 already and nothing happened yet!!! I sent a follow-up email, no response!

have an open case, here was the response:

"Thank you for contacting salesforce.com support.  Salesforce.com supports Office 2007 with Office Edition as of April 12, 2007.   Users can also create Mail Merge templates using Word 2007 and/or Vista with the latest version of the Office Edition plug in.

The latest version of Office Edition can be downloaded from Setup | Desktop Integration | Office Edition.

If, when performing a mail merge, you receive the error message "Exception :: CMM host :: GENMAILMERGE : Exception ",  verify that you have Microsoft Word version 2000 or later installed on your machine. This version is required for Mail Merge to function properly.

Salesforce's mail merge feature requires the following:

Microsoft Word:

- Version 2000 or later

Web browser:

- Internet Explorer 5.5 or later

Operating system:

- Windows XP, 2000, or NT

If you have all of the latest editions of the above listed applications and are still receiving the error, please do not hesitate to respond directly to this e-mail or contact our support line at (415)901-7010 and reference Case # "

After my response that it still dosen't work:

"At this point, I feel that it is best that we escalate your case to our Tier 2 level of support for further review.  In order to do this, please provide answers to the questions posted below.  As soon as I receive a response from you, I will submit your case for further revies.  "

I will post an update with the results:

Other interesting issues: in Word the sforce12.dotm file seems to be corrupt now

SalesForce does not recognise the .dotx file format created by Word 2007 as a valid upload type

CTU007CTU007
I installed the new office edition, same error msg. Do we need to amend the old template created by office 2003?

What is going on with salesforce????

There was NO official announcement about the new outlook edition, NO announcement on new office edition, NO official announcement on spring 07 release.....

All we, as the "valued" customer, have to do is trying everywhere to find out when these are available.

I tried to test and see if it would work with a newly created word 2007 doc (or docx as word now uses) and see if I needed to update/reformat my docs.

What I found:

1) Salesforce does not accept an upload of the new .docx format, it throws an invalid file error.

I renamed the extension to .doc and it did upload

I tried to merge with the newly created 2007 test file on my Vista/2007 system, it still fails with the error.

I tried to merge the 2007 test file on an xp/2003 system and the document opened in MS Word 2003  as binary garbage. It did not have any recognizable characters except [Content_Types] .xml

no word back from Sales Force Support as yet....

CTU007CTU007

I also tried to download the "mm_templates.doc" from sfdc, and found out it is still the old version, no mentioning of what needs to be done for office 2007...

What a disappointment!!!

nicklsnickls
Precicely my experience. I wrote to support with this problem, and got a response to download the newest version of Office edition. This was wrong, but I did it anyway.

Since then I have sent 5 separate replies, none of which have been answered by the representative.

I am being ignored by salesforce tech support, and still cannot generate quotes.

Nice work guys.

Thanks for the quick response. I’m further investigating this issue. I’ll keep you updated.

Thank you,

Vrushali Khatav

Sr. Technical Support analyst, API

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 8:32 AM
To: Vrushali Khatav
Cc:
Subject: RE: Case 01214697: General User Question [ ref:00D062.50033CJJI:ref ]

Hi Vrushali Khatav,

What I found: I created a template in Word 2007 to test with. When I attempted to upload the mail merge template into Salesforce, Salesforce displays an error that the file is in unrecognized format and is not a MS Word Doc file.

I then looked, and MS Word saves the files with an extension of .docx. I renamed the extension to .doc, then confirmed the MS Word would still open and recognize the document.

I then uploaded the template to Salesforce. (It is the 2007 Test) and it was able to upload ok. I went to test by performing a mail merge with the 2007 test template and have exactly the same error, no change.

*Note** I then used my working XP computer with MS Word 2003 and ran a test to merge the 2007 test doc. It performed the merge, and once opened the resulting document is binary garbage.

Current status: When I open MS word 2007 on my Vista box, I have an error that the Salesforce file "Error found in Custom UI XML of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12\STARTUP\sforce12.dotm Line2 column 35 has an error Code 0x80004005 Unknown Office control ID: Home (screenshot attached)

File attached

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 10:13 AM
To:

Hi ,

I wanted to let you know that this case  has been escalated to me here in Tier2 support.

For Mail Merge feature to work on Office 2007, you need to create the mail merge templates using Office 2007 and upload to Salesforce. It does not work with the mail merge templates that were created outside of Office 2007. Could you please create a sample template and see if it works? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Vrushali Khatav

Thanks for the quick response. I’m further investigating this issue. I’ll keep you updated.

Thank you,

Vrushali Khatav

Salesforce.com
(415)536-5498

Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 8:32 AM
To: Vrushali Khatav

Hi Vrushali Khatav,

What I found: I created a template in Word 2007 to test with. When I attempted to upload the mail merge template into Salesforce, Salesforce displays an error that the file is in unrecognized format and is not a MS Word Doc file.

I then looked, and MS Word saves the files with an extension of .docx. I renamed the extension to .doc, then confirmed the MS Word would still open and recognize the document.

I then uploaded the template to Salesforce. (It is the 2007 Test) and it was able to upload ok. I went to test by performing a mail merge with the 2007 test template and have exactly the same error, no change.

*Note** I then used my working XP computer with MS Word 2003 and ran a test to merge the 2007 test doc. It performed the merge, and once opened the resulting document is binary garbage.

Current status: When I open MS word 2007 on my Vista box, I have an error that the Salesforce file "Error found in Custom UI XML of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12\STARTUP\sforce12.dotm Line2 column 35 has an error Code 0x80004005 Unknown Office control ID: Home (screenshot attached)

File attached

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 10:13 AM
To:

Hi Walter,

I wanted to let you know that this case  has been escalated to me here in Tier2 support.

For Mail Merge feature to work on Office 2007, you need to create the mail merge templates using Office 2007 and upload to Salesforce. It does not work with the mail merge templates that were created outside of Office 2007. Could you please create a sample template and see if it works? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Vrushali Khatav

Salesforce.com

CTDWCTDW

I just upgraded to Vista this weekend and discovered the same error when trying to merge.  I have tried it on both Word 2003 and 2007 documents with the same result.  I am running Office Edition 1.3.2.8.  I have submitted a case to tech support on this as well.  Hopefully this is resolved quickly.

CTDW

Hi,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. We were researching this issue on our end. I want to let you know that our QA/Dev has identified this as a bug on our end. We have logged a high priority bug to resolve this issue and I have attached your case with the bug#.  Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA on when the fix will be released.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Vrushali Khatav

Salesforce.com
(415)536-5498

They closed my case with no notice and no fix :smileysad:
CTU007CTU007

Legiant Admin, I am surprised that you feel surprised about this. :smileyvery-happy:

I have got used to it.

Matt20vMatt20v
This is pretty slack of salesforce the least they could do is keep everyone updated..

I tried to do the mail merge on WinXp Computer with Office 2007 SBS edition and still no luck there either.

I thought it was only to do with Vista and Office 2007 but looks like its not...

Hope they come up with a fix soon..

Thanks Matt

It has been fixed! It works properly now:

Please complete the following steps to correct the SalesForce/MS Office 2007 – Mail Merge issue. Before upgrading to the new Mail Merge add-on that supports Windows Vista and Word 2007, perform the following steps. Note that you must be logged in to your PC as a Windows user with sufficient administrative privileges to change the settings described.

1. 1. Open your Windows Control Panel.
  2. 2. Windows 2000 and XP users, click 'Add or Remove Programs'. Windows Vista users, click 'Programs and Features'.
  1. 3. Remove the program 'Salesforce Mail Merge' if it is present.
  1. 4. Open your Internet Explorer Web browser.
  1. 5. IE 6 users:
    • o Click Tools | Internet Options to open the Internet Options dialog.
      • o On the General tab click the 'Settings' button in the 'Temporary Internet Files' area.
        • o Click the 'View Objects' button. The file directory 'C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files' opens.
          • o Delete the following items if they are present: 'CMMHost Object' and 'SFCom Control'
            1. 6. IE 7 users:
            • o Click Tools | Manage Add-ons | Enable or Disable Add-ons.
              • o In the 'Show' drop-down list, choose 'Downloaded ActiveX Controls (32 bit)'.
                • o If the following items are present, select them one at a time and then click the 'Delete' button to delete them: 'CMMHost Object' and 'SFCom Control'
                  • o Click 'OK'.
                    1. 7. Close Internet Explorer.

To install the new Mail Merge:

• 1. Log into salesforce.com and perform a regular Mail Merge. Remember to deselect "Log an Activity," since this is a test run.
                      CTU007CTU007

Thanks, Legiant. I tested and it is REALLY working!!!

However, what do my users have to do? Do they have to install the latest office & outlook edition? I have installed the outlook V3.1 although not sure if it is official released or not.

Client NameStatusLatest VersionInstall Now
                      Office EditionInstalled1.07.1328
                      Up-to-date
                      Outlook EditionInstalled2.0.2.3
                      Up-to-date

Please complete the following steps to correct the SalesForce/MS Office 2007 – Mail Merge issue. Before upgrading to the new Mail Merge add-on that supports Windows Vista and Word 2007, perform the following steps. Note that you must be logged in to your PC as a Windows user with sufficient administrative privileges to change the settings described.

1. 1. Open your Windows Control Panel.
                      2. 2. Windows 2000 and XP users, click 'Add or Remove Programs'. Windows Vista users, click 'Programs and Features'.
                      1. 3. Remove the program 'Salesforce Mail Merge' if it is present.
                      1. 4. Open your Internet Explorer Web browser.
                      1. 5. IE 6 users:
                        • o Click Tools | Internet Options to open the Internet Options dialog.
                          • o On the General tab click the 'Settings' button in the 'Temporary Internet Files' area.
                            • o Click the 'View Objects' button. The file directory 'C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files' opens.
                              • o Delete the following items if they are present: 'CMMHost Object' and 'SFCom Control'
                                1. 6. IE 7 users:
                                • o Click Tools | Manage Add-ons | Enable or Disable Add-ons.
                                  • o In the 'Show' drop-down list, choose 'Downloaded ActiveX Controls (32 bit)'.
                                    • o If the following items are present, select them one at a time and then click the 'Delete' button to delete them: 'CMMHost Object' and 'SFCom Control'
                                      • o Click 'OK'.
                                        1. 7. Close Internet Explorer.

To install the new Mail Merge:

• 1. Log into salesforce.com and perform a regular Mail Merge. Remember to deselect "Log an Activity," since this is a test run.