function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SysAdSysAd 

Disappearing SFDC Office Edition Word Add-In Menu from Toolbar List

It's very odd - the SFDC Office Edition Word Add-in toolbar does not appear in my toolbar list after the initial load of Office Edition.  I have created several mail merge documents and whenever I need to edit them, I have to re-install Office Edition instead of simply selecting SFDC off my Word toolbar.
Premier support has told me to check for Disabled Items in Word - but this list is empty.
Does anyone have a suggestion other than re-installing Office Edition each time I need to use it?
Thanks!
PeanutmanPeanutman
Hi!

Although I did not  experience this problem with the Office Edition, I did experience the 'missing toolbar phenomenon' with the Outlook Edition.

What usually did the trick for me was uninstalling the old version of the Outlook Edition and then re-installing it. However, when you are doing the install do NOT accept the default location of where the program wants to save it to. Change the folder name and/or the location of where the program will be installed to.

Good Luck!
Eric
rhythmanxrhythmanx

This happens to me also - I've reinstalled 4 times today just to edit my template files. Let me know if you learn of a fix.

Jeremy

CRM Applications Administrator

NYC

mshinnmshinn
I also have this problem profusely.

I have found that it typically happens if I don't use the sforce button in Office for an extended period of time (say, a day or two)... but I have had it happen to me several times per day.

I have no idea what the solution is and our IT team has a hands-off approach to all of Salesforce - the position they've held since I decided to go live with it.  They're very helpful.  :smileysad:
Erin ShannonErin Shannon
I have been researching the problem also and I found opening MS Word before Outlook works for me.  Don't ask me why!
GVinILGVinIL

Thanks for the suggestion.

It worked!

ConsultorConsultor
Erin Shanon is right, starting MS-Word before MS-Outlook works and this is because, both, the MS-Outlook Plug-in AND the Office Plug-in deliverd by Salesforce.com are installed and there is a bug/conflict between both applications.

In order to be able to see the Connect for Office button in the toll bar of MS-Word, you need to shut down your MS-Outlook application.
ccbnguyenccbnguyen
Here is what you can do if you don't want to have to shut outlook down.

The "salesforce.com" button used by Office Edition will not appear in MS Word if you started Outlook first and are using MS Word as the default email editor. There is a known issue in MS Word that affects all Visual Basic based macros.

There are three ways to work around this issue:

1. Always start MS Word before you start Outlook.

2. Disable MS Word as your default outlook email editor by going to Tools | Options | Mail Format and unchecking the two options to use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages.

3. Manually enabling the sforce macro in MS Word by go to Tools | Macro | Macros. Highlight the InitApplication row and click "Run".

Also, The Office Edition plug-in may have been disabled on installation and you may need to manually enable it. To do this:

1. Open Word and go to Help | About Microsoft Office Word and click the "Disabled Items" Button.

2. Highlight the sforce.dot item and click the "Enable" button then click "OK".

3. Go to Tools | Templates and Add-ins

4. Make sure that the sforce.dot file is checked

You will now see the InitApplication item in your Macros group.

If you have tried all of the above suggestions, and are still running into trouble, please check to see if you have the Adobe Acrobat Writer plug-in installed. Note this refers to the WRITER plug-in and not the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.

You can check if this is the case by clicking on Tools | Templates & Add-ins in Word.

If Acrobat Writer is installed, you will have to uninstall Acrobat and Office Edition. Afterwards, reinstall Office Edition FIRST and then install Adobe Acrobat Writer. The two plug-ins should be installed and work concurrently.

However, if the problem persists, you will have to temporarily disable the Adobe Acrobat plugin to use the Office Edition plugin.

Click on Tools | Templates & Add-ins in Word.

Then uncheck the pdfmaker.dot file and click OK. Restart Word if necessary and you should see the salesforce.com menu in the Word toolbar.