function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NwadhamNwadham 

Outlook Edition 2 taking very long to start

Hello mates,

I have prepared a ghost image of Windows XP Professional SP2 and it includes the Outlook Edition 2.0. Add-in, which works fine if I log on the computer with a local user, no exchange. When I join a Windows 2003 server domain I set up, the Add-in takes around 10 min to finally open and let use Outlook 2003 with exchange normally. Any ideas?

Server: server 2003 standard with group policy applied to some users (the add-in has the same issue with users in the gpo and out of the gpo) Exchange 2003 standard as email server.

Client: wxp pro sp2 office xp (2002) and outlook 2003 joining the domain controlled by the server. Folder redirection enabled in every user's profile (provided again by te server) Connection to their exchange mailbox using outlook 2003. Salesforce office and outlook add-ins installed.

Thanks in advance,
wsws
Hi,

A couple of questions:

1. If you tried adding an email from a machine that wasn't ghosted - does it take as long?  I wasn't clear if it takes a long time because the machine is created from a ghosted image or not.

2. Which folders are you re-directing?  Is it just the My Documents folder or are you redirecting other folders under documents and settings/<username>?

3. I'm assuming there is no PST file involved?  When you perform the add email functionality, it operating (directly) on an email from the exchange server?

Thanks,

NwadhamNwadham
Hello there,

This issue does not happen if I log in the computer as a local user of the machine (not in the domain) and open Outlook (without Exchange)

Folders redirected are: My documents and the user's profile (desktop, application data.., etc)

No PST files involved in this issue. Pure and simple Exchange

I hope you can help!

Thanks,
wsws
Hi,

Could you try turning off re-direction for one user and check how long it takes?  Outlook Edition writes logs to the user's directory under document and settings and by having that directory access through the network would definitely create (significant) delays.

Thanks,

NwadhamNwadham
Hello!

It fixed itself... It seems that I was trying to use this plug-in with exchange accounts that were never used, thus, not having received a single e-mail and then not having (probably) its mailbox created in the main exchange database... This is just an idea but practically this is what seems to have happened.

Thank you anyway!

Regards,