function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DominicFDominicF 

Error when marking a contact for Sync in MS Outlook 2007

When I select a contact in my MS Outlook 2007 and click the "Mark for Sync" button on the "Salesforce Outlook Edition Main" toolbar, I get the following error message:

window title: Outlook Edition Error
Error message: "This record cannot be marked for sync because the association is invalid."

This error message only occurs on some of my contacts.  Once the error message comes up, that contact will not sync to Salesforce.com.

What "association" is invalid?  And how do I get the contact to sync?

I am using Salesforce Outlook Edition version 3.2.1.5 and MS Outlook 2007 (12.0.4518.1014).

Thanks

Phila. KatePhila. Kate
When using Notes Edition or Outlook Edition 3 each record you want to sync into salesforce.com needs to be marked for sync. While marking Contacts for sync you may sometimes get the errors below.

"Some records you selected were not marked because the associations were not valid"
or
"This record cannot be marked for sync because the association is invalid."

This error is generated if you have a Company name in your Contact record in Outlook or Notes as this needs to be associated to a record in salesforce.com. This can be done based on 2 scenarios.

1. If the Company in the record already exists in salesforce.com as an Account right click your Contact record and from the menu select Associate. Here you will probably get the Incomplete Association dialog. To associate the record click the lookup icon or the change link next to the Account box and either select an Account name brought back or use the Search box to find the Account. Select this Account and click OK..

2. If the Account the Contact is linked to an Account that doesn't exist in salesforce.com right click your Contact record and from the menu select Associate. From the Association box select the Account link within the Quick Create section to create the Account in salesforce.com and Associate the record. Save the Quick create and select OK

Note: Using the Associate option also Marks the Contact for sync at the same time.

Message Edited by Phila. Kate on 10-25-2007 01:59 PM

Andy B.ax322Andy B.ax322
Does this mean that there is no way to mass associate contacts?  I've just moved to Office 2007, and would have to individually associate hundreds of contacts if the answer is no.
aamorosaamoros
If you have all of the Contact information on the Salesforce server (and contacts are not associated to the Outlook contacts) delete the contacts from Outlook and re-sync from the server.  That should work.

Message Edited by aamoros on 05-01-2008 11:18 AM
dpelusidpelusi

I am getting the same association errors.  This is occuring for contacts that are in my Outlook but not in SF.com (the account is in SF.com however).  I'm trying to associate the contact in Outlook with the account in SF.com.  I can get it to work buy clicking Associate, then clicking Change, searching for the account, and selecting the account manually.  I don't understand why the association does not automatically find the SF.com account when the company name in the Outlook contact is the exact same as the account name in SF.com to which I am trying to associate it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

philseemanphilseeman
The Outlook Connect documentation clearly states that it should be finding the matching account, but as we have all found, it's not doing that and it appears the only way to mark for sync is via the painful manual Associate process for every Contact.

I've filed a case with SF support as I think this is a bug.  Meantime, I can't afford to wait - I'm an Outlook developer and am writing an add-in that does the "Mark for Sync" the right way - by finding a matching Account in SF.  I'll post it once it's done so others can use it as well.