function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jim BoudreauxJim Boudreaux 

No Custom Controllers in Production Orgs ?!?!

Oh come on! So I had to wait 6 months for visualforce to be available in my production org, and now that the day is finaly here, I can't create custom controllers?

You have got to be kidding me. Someone please tell me what is going on. Is there a work around? Something other than having to use eclipse or some other IDE, because that completely defeats the purpose of having the visualforce page editor in the first place.

There has to be another way, please help.:smileysad:
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
ESES
Hey Jim,
The restriction is to save us from making unintentional changes to our production data by running untested apex code. In my opinion its reasonable to say that development should be done in development environment (DE orgs, sandbox) and only tested code should be deployed to the production environment.

All Answers

lnryanlnryan
  1. Yes, you can have custom controllers; you still have to include test coverage for them. We have a custom controller currently deployed to our production environment. Granted, we did test it in our sandbox and deploy it through the IDE but still, it's up and running and we're quite happy with it.
  2. There's a lot you can do without custom controllers using the page editor, especially if you make use the __r relationship notation to get related fields. We were able to develop much of our interfaces without any controller extensions simply by leveraging the built-in record handling of the visualforce tags and standard controller functionality (save, delete, cancel...)
  3. I *believe* if you're dead-set against the IDE you can use packages to pull in your custom controllers, but you still have to ensure proper coverage to include them...

Message Edited by lnryan on 06-16-2008 02:01 PM
ESES
Hey Jim,
The restriction is to save us from making unintentional changes to our production data by running untested apex code. In my opinion its reasonable to say that development should be done in development environment (DE orgs, sandbox) and only tested code should be deployed to the production environment.
This was selected as the best answer
I don't have much experience with moving apex from a dev to a production org. But if that's what I need to do then I guess that's what I need to do. Thanks for the info. 
Scott.MScott.M
The Eclipse IDE is a really slick way of deploying code to production. If you right click on the src folder of a Force.com project and select Force.com > Deploy to server... you get a nice little wizard. You may grumble a bit about having to write test functions at the start but I think you'll find that you get a nice warm fuzzy feeling after having written them and can tell people you've got 100% code coverage, I know I do!! :)
Oh alright, I guess it's time I took the plunge. I really just needed a reason, I guess.