function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SF@SiemensSF@Siemens 

New to Apex Data Loader

Hi,

I am new to the Data Loader application and was wondering if there was anyway to upload a file (I assume it has to be in CSV format) to a user's personal documents area?  I have not tried an upload as of yet.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all help!
SF@SiemensSF@Siemens
Didn't get the above issue resolved, but came up with yet another one.....

Is there any way to upload any document (regardless of file extension) using the DataLoader?  The only option I see is that you can add/remove/update records in salesforce, but not add documents.  Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks,
Gemini@WorkGemini@Work
https://na3.salesforce.com/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?section=help&target=supported_data_types.htm&loc=help&hash=topic-title

Importing Attachments with the Data Loader
You can use the Data Loader to import attachments to Salesforce.
  1. If you are migrating attachments from a source Salesforce organization to a target Salesforce organization, begin by requesting a weekly data export for the source organization. On the Schedule Export page, make sure to select the Include Attachments... checkbox, which causes the file Attachment.csv to be included in your export. You can use that file in the next step. For more information on the weekly export service, see Exporting Backup Data.
  2. Confirm that the CSV file you intend to use for attachment importing contains the following columns (each column represents a Salesforce field):
    • ParentId - the Salesforce ID of the parent record.
    • Name - the name of the attachment file, such as myattachment.jpg.
    • IsPrivate - "0" if the attachment is not private; "1" if it is private.
    • OwnerId - the Salesforce ID of the record owner.
    • Body - the Salesforce ID of the attachment.
  3. Edit the values in the Body column so they contain the full file name of the attachments as they exist on your computer. For example, if an attachment with the ID 123456789 is located on your computer at C:\Export, then set the value as C:\Export\123456789. For reference, see this sample CSV file.
  4. Proceed with an insert or upsert operation; see Inserting, Updating, or Deleting Data. At the Select data objects step, make sure to select the Show all Salesforce objects checkbox and the Attachment object name in the list.