function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DniceDnice 

Outlook fails to login to Salesforce

I have been trying to get outlook to sync with my salesforce account, and it has been very frustrating.  Despite repeated attempts I get the error "Failed to log into Salesforce.com"

I have check my username and password probably 50x now to make sure I am not crazy.  Could it be in issue with a firewall or exchange?  How can I fix this?

OneNewbieOneNewbie

have you try concatenating the security token along with your password?

Dave007Dave007

I assume that this solved the issue ?

SurekaSureka

Hi,

You can try checking the Login url. By default, Login url will be www.salesforce.com. If you want to login through sandbox, you need to change the login url.

Thanks

WebucatedWebucated

You're not crazy, I ran into this same issue recently on my new Windows 7 64 based laptop. Salesforce requires you to use your security token along with your password when logging in through Outlook (it only requires your stand alone password when logging in through the website). To fix this you'll want to login to your salesforce account, then go into "Personal Setup" and choose "Reset your security token". You'll then want to use your password along with your security token when you receive the login prompt from Outlook to sync things between salesforce (salesforce provides more details on this when you reset your token).

This should fix your Outlook login problem...

Dave007Dave007

@Webucated

You seem perplexed as to why a security token is needed when logging in through Outlook and not on the website

Outlook or any API tool is a third party tool, it is not owned by Salesforce and was not designed by Salesforce therefore to ensure that there person logging in from a third party tool is who they say they are they require an extra bit of security information.

This extra security feature ensures that your data is secure.

For example if I somehow got a hold of your username and password and then I tired to log on with a tool that could export all of your Salesforce data it would ask me for a security token which I could not get unless I had access to your corporate email which would mean I would also need another different username and password.

Believe me it is in your best interest, how about Salesforce didn't have this feature, you would then be saying

"oh why is your system so unsecure"

Another benefit is you only need to enter it once not everytime you log on

There is one thing else you can try, if you Whitelist the IP address then you do not need a security token when logging on from that location