function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JEndoJEndo 

Save error: Illegal group reference in Force.com IDE

When I attempt to save a VF page from the Force.com IDE, I get the above message... Any ideas?

I can't seem to find it in any documentation on this, either for VisualForce or the Force.com IDE. It only seems to happen for certain pages, and I can't figure out what may be causing it.

Thanks-

-Jesse
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
jayc123jayc123

thanks for highlighting this, we had the same problem as well, it seems that this syntax <![endif]--> is causing the problem here, changing it to <!--[endif]--> will fix the error

All Answers

JEndoJEndo
It appears the error was a missing quote in a CommandButton tag.

Any chance we could look into making this error message more useful?
aki3aki3
I had same problem and <apex:form> tag was missed with </apex:form>.
sgoldberRHsgoldberRH

Just encountered the same thing, and posted to the idea exchange

http://ideas.salesforce.com/article/show/10097542/Illegal_group_reference_make_error_more_useful

DrawloopSupportDrawloopSupport
This idea might also be helpful: Visualforce Error Line Numbers
Praveen KimarPraveen Kimar

Hi,

I have the same problem. I am breaking my head what is the actual reason which causes this error.

My issue is, i have created a VF page and assigned to a public site as the site template. It worked fine till yesterday, I haven't done any changes but i am getting this exception. can anyone help me on this. So that i will be able to correct my mistake if i did any.

Please suggest me how can i resolve this ?

Thanks,

Praveen K.

TerryLuschenTerryLuschen

We started receiving this same message too after the upgrade to Winter 13 on one specific page.   The problem in our Visualforce page was this line of code...

<!--[if IE 7]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" charset="utf-8" href="{!URLFOR($Resource.MyStyles, 'ie7.css')}" /><![endif]-->
<!-- &lt;!--[if IE 7]> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" charset="utf-8" href="{!URLFOR($Resource.MyStyles, 'ie7.css')}" /> &lt;![endif]--&gt; -->

We still do not know why those two lines caused the error, but we found another way to do what we needed to do.  We found the erroring lines by removing lines from the Visualforce page until it actually saved.  That should get you down to the specific line that is causing the problem.

jayc123jayc123

thanks for highlighting this, we had the same problem as well, it seems that this syntax <![endif]--> is causing the problem here, changing it to <!--[endif]--> will fix the error

This was selected as the best answer
Praveen KimarPraveen Kimar

Hi Terry,

Great solution... It solved my problem.

Thanks again, I appreciate for your response.

Thanks,

Praveen K.