function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hamayoun65hamayoun65 

VisualForce documentation

Is there  any kind of document/guide that explains in details exactly what happens on a VF page when you click a command button?    Which gets are run, which sets are run, what exactly is rerendered, etc?  Right now, I am having to work this all out by trial and (lots of) errors.

Thx,
Hamayoun
Sam.arjSam.arj
Using your browser (firefox) examine the source code (html, javascript maushup) of your page.
I am not aware of any document that describes what Salesforce is doing behind the scene.

dchasmandchasman
This sounds like you are interested in a bit more detail around the overall Visualforce life cycle - this is not something we have published much information on to date. We have only had a couple of requests for this information to date - it does of course exist internally. Can you post and idea on ideaexchange to track this and see how much interest there is? We've avoided getting to detailed for a couple of reason - mainly keeping it simple and only spending time on stuff that customers ask for. If there is interest in this we can certainly make it available.
jeremy_rossjeremy_ross
Doug,

One of the first things I did when I began VF development was to figure out the VF lifecycle, if/how/when controller instances are re-used and instantiated, how view state works, etc.  I don't know how someone would develop without knowing these things.  I'd definitely vote for getting this in the docs.

Jeremy
hamayoun65hamayoun65
Exactly Jeremy.  Once you reach a certain level of complexity, it gets very difficult to control your VF pages unless you know exactly what happens within the controller code, and exactly WHEN it happens.  I don't consider this to be the inner workings of VF/Apex, but essential information for developing and debugging. 
Brendan LallyBrendan Lally
agreed

I find it hard 2 get stuff working and often its snippets of info on replies 2 ?'s in the forums. Most of this 'good' snippets are from internal SF support folks.
Be much easier if we had more techie docs

Lal