function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DennoPDennoP 

How can I pass a inputfield value into a controller variable and query.

I am trying to use the code below to assign the value from an inputfield into a variable within my controller to then use that value in a query.  Please could someone tell me what I need to enter to assign that data

Page
<apex:inputField value="{!emp2.Paynumber__c}" id="PaySearch" /> <p/> 

Controller
public class EmployeeList {

String PayN = '15154';

public PageReference update1() {
        PayN = {!$component.PaySearch);
        return null;
    }
jwetzlerjwetzler
You should not use javascript to do this -- that will unnecessarily complicate things.  When your action method is called (update1) all of the setters will be called first.  So if you have an inputField with a reference to {emp2.Paynumber__c} then it will set that field on the emp2 object in your controller.  Something like this:

Code:
<apex:form>
  <apex:inputField value="{!emp2.Paynumber__c}" id="PaySearch"/>
  <apex:commandButton value="Update" action="{!update1}"/>
</apex:form>

Code:
public class myController {
  public emp2__c emp2 {get; set;}

public myController() {
    emp2 = [select paynumber__c from emp2__c limit 1];
  }

public PageReference update1() {
    String payNumber = emp2.paynumber__c;
    //do your other query here.
  }

}

So when you click on the command button the first thing it does is call the emp2 setter, which will update all of the fields (in this case, just paynumber__c) on that object.  Then your action method gets called, and you can just access the field directly off of the emp2 object.

boihueboihue
Hi Jwetzler,
I'm having the same question, I followed your suggestion and add the System.Debug in the Update1 function then I got the value of the paynumber__c retrieved from the Select in the Constructor and not the value selected by the user. Do you have any idea how can I get the value selected by the user when using of inputField?
Thanks!