function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kgibsonkgibson 

Is customizing the "Action" on a Related List possible?

Good afternoon.

I'd like to customize the Actions available on a Related List. Specifically, I'd like to remove the Edit/Del options on the Opportunity Product Related List and add an "Inactivate" in their place. We have too many custom fields and objects to make customization of the entire page realistic, and I can't really override any of the main page views to accomodate this.

Anybody ever had any success with this?

Thanks

metaforcemetaforce

I am not sure if you can remove the Edit/Del Links. I suggest following options:

1. Override the default action for these links, but that may seem misleading in your case as you are looking for inactivating items, rather than deleting and/or editing them.

2. Create a custom page that resembles your related list with your desired functionality, e.g. giving the "Inactivate" link, and them make this an embedded inline page in your default detail page layout. Later you may remove the default Opportunity Product related list from your page layout. This should be a much smaller effort than overriding the entire default main page layout.

AD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark it as an accepted solution if it works and help the community

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

The short answer is: no. The long answer is: you can remove either link by modifying the user's profile; those two links are controlled by the system, and depend on user permissions (i.e. it won't normally show Edit if you can't really edit the record). Adding custom actions in that column is not yet supported; I'd suggest a visit to the IdeaExchange.

The best solution at the moment would be to create a custom list button, and have it add checkmarks to each row. Then, they can check off one or more rows and inactivate several records at once. It would only take a few lines of code to develop something like this. You'll need Enterprise Edition or higher to access the API though.

JPPistonsJPPistons

I logged into SF Community today to search and log this same question.

Per profile object permissions are granular for standard objects - but not for activities. We want to remove the ability for sales reps (profile type) to edit or delete tasks. Two seemingly simple solutions: 1) Remove the "Action" field from the related list layout or 2) Checkbox to allow profile to "view" "create", uncheck "edit" "delete". But I know, I read, "No" to both. :)

Overriding the buttons with custom seems like an okay work around, however, admins should still have the ability to use these buttons as intended.

Anyone have a few lines of code to replicate the functions of the Edit and Delete buttons as custom? 

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

When overriding, you could override the override using some custom logic in the override based on the profile (got that?). The only other "solution" would probably be a complete visualforce page replacement, and I don't see that as practical. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a great solution to this problem at the moment.

By the way, in case you're curious, a simple formula can be used depending on the profile (as a custom button):

{!URLFOR($Action.Activity.LogCall,null,[who_id=Contact.Id],true)}

You'll need to play around with the options, but the idea is that in a custom button, the final "true" in a URLFOR will override any overrides you have on the page buttons.

miteshsuramiteshsura

Hi JPPistons,

Do you mind explaining "Remove the "Action" field from the related list layout" ??

I want to remove action items from Quote Line Items realted list, within Quote.

I looked into page layouts for Quote and Qute Line Items, I was not able to find it.

Thanks

mk2013mk2013

I am also looking for similar functionality on the line items. Anybody had success in doing that? 

Thanks,

Madhuri

miteshsura wrote:

Hi JPPistons,

Do you mind explaining "Remove the "Action" field from the related list layout" ??

I want to remove action items from Quote Line Items realted list, within Quote.

I looked into page layouts for Quote and Qute Line Items, I was not able to find it.

Thanks