function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Quantum7Quantum7 

Business Cards - Getting into SalesForce via a Mac

Being a newbie to the product I posted this query in the Excel Connector section. To those of you who use SF and Mac perhaps you can help ....

I use a Mac (iBook) using OX 10.4.8 My partners use PC's.
We have thousands of business cards which need to be scanned using IrisCard. It seems to me that IrisCard (IrisScan) is a bit limited in the types of file formats I can create. SF likewise is limited, accepting only .csv files. I do not use Outlook and since it appears SF does not work in a simple way with Entourage, it seems my only choice is to get the scanned data into an Excel file and map all fields to match SF. Which to my untutored mind is a whole lot of work and not a lot of fun.

Does anyone have experience with Mac's, SF, and importing business cards? And have you found a simpler or more direct way to get this info into SF? And will you tell me how?!?
Tomasz OczapowskiTomasz Oczapowski
I use MacOS every day and I know the challenge you are talking about. One solution you might consider is to use scanR Business Cards app. It's not platform dependant but you will need 2Mp camera or better (you can even use your mobile!)

Link to scanR Business Cards on AppExchange Directory.

Message Edited by TomaszOczapowsk on 03-09-2007 02:07 PM

darindarin
I am also looking for such a solution.

I will say this, you mentioned that your partners use PCs. If that's the case you might consider hooking up the CardScan software for Salesforce.com on their PC and let them do the scanning from those computers. The solution works well for us, and if you like, you can consider it recycling of a computer so one of those partners can get a Mac for all their other needs.
Quantum7Quantum7
I am also looking for such a solution.

I will say this, you mentioned that your partners use PCs. If that's the case you might consider hooking up the CardScan software for Salesforce.com on their PC and let them do the scanning from those computers. The solution works well for us, and if you like, you can consider it recycling of a computer so one of those partners can get a Mac for all their other needs.

Hi Darin

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Although my partners think Mac's are alien and can't run any popular software, so..

If I come across a solution for this problem I'll let you know.

Regards,
Jim
Tomasz OczapowskiTomasz Oczapowski
Or better, if your Mac is Intel based use Parallels or VMware Fusion to run a small Windows install to do just that. Straight from your Mac.
TimesyncTimesync
I have a client that had the same need.  I did a little sleathing and found that CardScan has a cool integration with Salesforce.  Contact them and purchase the Salesforce Edition in a kit with the proper scanner.  It works like a champ.  I now have the admin gals scanning in the contact cards when the sales and BD folks come back from trips....

Additionally, have the execs or sales folks write an "L" or "C" on the back of each card so they can be seperated into Lead and Contact stacks. 

When they are scanned into SF they are automatically dumped into the correct category.

Any other questions, drop me a line at innissd@gmail.com

David
JFWJFW

David,

Saw your post re integrating cardscan w/ sfdc.  We are having trouble doing this.  The closest we can get is to export from cardscan to .csv file then import.  Looking a one-step process.  Do you have any advice?

Thanks VERY much for any info you can supply.

Jim Wooster 

JCLPJCLP

There is a new release of the CardScan software for Salesforce that allows you to scan business cards into salesforce.com

You might want to check out the free trial download of CardScan Software for SalesForce.  You can find it at  www.cardscansoftware.com .  This software client allows you to scan business cards directly into salesforce.com.