function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Alex F.Alex F. 

MailDrop - case descriptions

Hello there,

at first let me thank you for this wonderful little application.

There is only one feature i am badly missing:

When adding an mail to SalesFoce and searching for a case, only the case number (id) is visible. Would it be possible to add an additional collumn containing the case description in order to be able to recognize the correct case?

Keep up the great work!

Kind regards
Alex
SuperfellSuperfell
Its sort of possible, certainly the search call can return the extra columns, what i could never work out what to do, was how to display the results, remember the results table is showing data from multiple data types, what if you add subject and description to case, and account number to account, and city to contact etc, you either have to muddle these into a single column, or end up with potentially lots of columns to scroll through. If you have any suggestions for how the UI would work, i'm all ears.
Alex F.Alex F.

Hello there,

thank you for the response. Regarding the UI i think that the SalesForce Outlook connector does a good job here:

There are several columns when adding a mail to a case: case id, subject/topic, status, date created
Actually I did not mean the description field but the subject field to display in my first post. Sorry for the confusion. Is that possible to display?

Kind regards
Alex
SuperfellSuperfell
right, but its not just case, you can search in one go, cases, accounts, opportunities, custom objects etc, and choose one
Alex F.Alex F.
Hello,

please have a look at the screenshot enclosed.

I was searching for the string 'test'. In fact some results are found but i can only see the case ids and not the subjects so it is impossible to see which is the correct case.

Best regards
Alex
SuperfellSuperfell
Yes, i understand that part, but how does the table look when you add subject for case, and then add additional fields for all the other types its searching, now you've got a 20 column table.
Alex F.Alex F.
Hi there,

a simple solution would be to replace the id display for cases with the subject. What do you think?

Kind regards
Alex
mark_riedymark_riedy
Simon

When I use your Maildrop app, I get an error from Salesforce.com that will not allow me to log in. How do I go about solving that?

Thanks

mark_riedymark_riedy
Simon

Figured it out. Thanks.
Bret21Bret21

Maybe this is too much work to be worth it, but what about making the last column ("Additional") use an argument concatenation approach like c++ printf would...

So what I am thinking is you basically take 20-40 fields that people are probably going to want from SF and give them each a unique 2 or 3 character identifier.  For example Stage = STG, Clost Date = CLD, Description = DSC etc.

Then you give a user access to a preferences variable where they can create a list of these id's... my list might be CLD STG DSC which would then give me the Close Date for an opportunity followed by Stage followed by Description.

Yes, I admit this could be a pain to program and it only partially solves the problem of different column stuff needed for different item types (opportunity, case, etc.).  I guess you could have a preference variable for each type of item and different "format string" for each??