function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TehNrdTehNrd 

Anyone having issues with actionStatus after summer09 upgrade?

Is anyone else encountering strange behavior with the actionStatus tag in their pages? I have a page that has several of these components and since the upgrade over the weekend they have become very finicky. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

I am trying to build a simple example to reproduce but it has been difficult.

Thanks,

Jason

mtbclimbermtbclimber

Did you see the release notes? There was a change though I'm not sure how that could cause intermittent issues.

The related snippet from the Summer '09 release notes:

New ID Generation for <apex:actionStatus> and <apex:panelBarItem>
The document object model ID generation for the <apex:actionStatus> component has changed. Now, the ID is
prepended by the IDs of any container tags. 

Does that affect your usage in a negative way? Please do post a sample case if you can isolate it.

TehNrdTehNrd

I don't see that causing any issues as this is the way I am using it:

<apex:commandButton value="Do something!" action="{!doSomething}" status="animate"/>
<apex:actionStatus id="animate">

I still have some ideas to test and will report back.

Message Edited by TehNrd on 06-15-2009 03:43 PM
TehNrdTehNrd

I am now able to reproduce this issue. Unfortunately it is on a fairly large and complicated page, reproducible none the less.

The problem is definitely pointing to the page API version as here is what I have discovered so far.

- The page (maybe pages, I haven't checked any others) in question was on API 15.0. Changing this to 16.0 appears to fix the issue in the few quick tests I performed. 

- I first tried to change the API version with the Force.com plugin but was given the error: Duplicate ids have been detected: '_viewRoot:status'. Not sure what this means as I don't have any ids like this.

- I next tried to change the API version through the UI editor and it saved fine with no errors. The page then works. Changing it back to 15.0 I get the finicky behavior once again.

That should give you a good start. I will continue to try to create a small example and if I can't do this quickly I will open the case as is.

-Jason

Message Edited by TehNrd on 06-16-2009 09:57 AM
jwetzlerjwetzler

There may still be some issues with actionStatus ids but here is the general idea.

I think you may have been among the several people complaining a few releases ago that you couldn't put an actionStatus component inside of a custom component, and use that custom component in a page more than once, because you would get a duplicate id error.  What was happening was that actionStatus was not building up it's id consistent with the rest of the Visualforce components (with a hierarchy, etc.)  We fixed this in the new release, but versioned the fix so the ids are getting generated differently in 16.0.  The idea is that if your page or component referencing the actionStatus component is in version 15.0, you should still get the old behavior.

However, it's best to use version 16.0 for your pages, components, and pages containing components that contain actionStatus (if that makes sense) because the actionstatus id generation is different between releases.  16.0 is doing it the right way, 15.0 is wacky.  I think there may be some more work that needs to be done here, but again I strongly suggest moving to 16.0 for anything that's going to need an actionStatus component.  

Not sure why there's a difference between using the plugin vs. the UI.  Are you sure you're editing a page and not a component?  Because API version is not a supported field for components in the current release of the IDE.   (I think there is a new one coming out soon-ish but actually have no idea about the schedule).

TehNrdTehNrd
Thanks Jill. Definitely editing the page as this page has no custom components. I am getting really close to a small reproducible example. So far I'm down to 43 VF lines but I can go less I think.
Message Edited by TehNrd on 06-15-2009 05:04 PM
jwetzlerjwetzler
I would think this would be totally limited to the actionStatus components you have on your page.  I take it you have more than one?  Does you page include any other pages via apex: include or composition?
TehNrdTehNrd

Here we go!

<apex:page controller="status" sidebar="false">
<apex:form>

<apex:pagemessages />

<apex:commandButton value="Search" action="{!getRecords}" rerender="table"/>
<apex:pageBlock >
<apex:pageBlockButtons location="top">
<apex:actionStatus id="sorting">
<apex:facet name="start">
<apex:outputText value="Show me!!!!!!!"/>
</apex:facet>
</apex:actionStatus>
</apex:pageBlockButtons>

<apex:outputPanel id="table">
<apex:pageBlockTable value="{!opps}" var="o">
<apex:column >
<apex:facet name="header">
<apex:commandLink value="Opportunity Name" rerender="table" action="{!doSomething}" status="sorting"/>
</apex:facet>
<apex:outputField value="{!o.Name}" />
</apex:column>
</apex:pageBlockTable>
</apex:outputPanel>
</apex:pageBlock>
</apex:form>
</apex:page>

public with sharing class status{

public List<Opportunity> opps {get; set;}

public void getRecords(){
opps = [select Id, Name from Opportunity limit 10];
}

public void doSomething(){
system.debug('hi');
}
}

Always start with a clean browser refresh.

Issue 1:

Set page to API 15

Click search, then the header opportunity name, no actionStatus

Change page to API 16 and repeat, actionStatus shows

Issue 2:

Set page to API 15 

Click the header, actionStatus works!

Click the header again, tricks! It does not work.

Change to API 16 and repeat, actionStatus works every click

Hint: Remove  <apex: pagemessages/> component and you will have no issues with API 15.

That was fun,

-Jason

Message Edited by TehNrd on 06-15-2009 05:24 PM
jwetzlerjwetzler

pageMessages should have no affect on this at all.  I will have to look into this.

So are you still seeing issues with saving, or dupe ID messages with the markup you just provided?

TehNrdTehNrd

The IDE does not give me the duplicate Id error when trying to change the API version with the markup above.

Honestly, I wasn't too focused on the saving issue as there was a simple fix by saving in the UI. My main focus was identifity the rerender issue. I'll see if I can find a simple example of the save issue.

Should I open a case for this stuff?

jwetzlerjwetzler
Yes a case to track this would be good.
TehNrdTehNrd

Here is a very simple example to reproduce the save issue.

<apex:page >
<apex:actionStatus id="sorting"/>
<apex:actionStatus id="searching"/>
</apex:page>

With the force.com IDE, editing the page-meta.xml file, change the API from 15.0 to 16.0 and you should receive: Duplicate ids have been detected: '_vewRoot:status'

Opening a case now.

Message Edited by TehNrd on 06-16-2009 09:30 AM
TehNrdTehNrd

Case # for actionStatus issue: 02731218

Case # for IDE save issue: 02731079

MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
I'm having exactly the same issues with both actionStatus and saving via the IDE. I also noticed another very strange issue after the upgrade, with commandButton. I've got a page that uses a commandButton within the pageBlockButtons tag, currently set so that the button appears both top and bottom of the pageBlock. If I use the top button the actionStatus works fine and the commandButton's rerender attribute works. However if I use the BOTTOM button, actionStatus does not work and rerender also does not work. Maybe related to the same issue?

Mark
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269

I was updating the version to 16.0 on my pages using the Salesforce UI and just got the same error.  I don't think it's an IDE issue. The only thing I did was change the version to 16 and click Save.

Error: Duplicate ids have been detected: '_viewRoot:status'

[edit]  interestingly enough, my other pages updated fine.  Then I went back and tried this page again and it updated fine.  Intermittent problem of some kind.

Message Edited by MarkL on 06-16-2009 03:25 PM
Message Edited by MarkL on 06-16-2009 03:33 PM
TehNrdTehNrd
I double checked and I am not able to replicated the duplicate Id error in the UI.
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
I haven't been able to replicate it either, just happened the one time. However it looks like this update has affected other things too, particularly the way commandButtons rerender/refresh. Apparently even though I'm rerendering pageMessages and a specific pageBlock, it's rerendering the entire page - which I definitely do not want. It's causing some havoc among my users right now. I've also noticed that even though the documentation says the rerender happens after, it looks like it's happening both before and after when I look into the log.

Also the status behavior is different (sometimes) whether I'm using the status attribute within commandButton or as an actionSupport tag.

Mark
TehNrdTehNrd

In regards to the, Duplicate ids have been detected: '_viewRoot:status' error, my case status is now 'Bug Fix Submitted'. I have no other info, cause, work arounds, ETA for fix, or if it is related to the actionStatus problems.

- Jason

Message Edited by TehNrd on 06-22-2009 08:53 AM
jwetzlerjwetzler

The cause has to do with the versioned id change to actionStatus.  It's not getting the version correctly in some places.  I am working on a fix for this right now, not sure why it says the fix has been submitted.  Only workaround is to bump everything on your page up to 16.

This is (currently) my highest priority so stay tuned...

TehNrdTehNrd

Thanks for the update Jill.

Yes, this is one of the issues with the current case/bug process. Cases are marked as Bug Fix Submitted (I think this is the only option available to the support reps) when really they are more like Bug Identified / Confirmed.

Message Edited by TehNrd on 06-22-2009 09:55 AM
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269

jwetzler wrote:

The cause has to do with the versioned id change to actionStatus.  It's not getting the version correctly in some places.  I am working on a fix for this right now, not sure why it says the fix has been submitted.  Only workaround is to bump everything on your page up to 16.

This is (currently) my highest priority so stay tuned...

I wish switching to 16 was an option, but that breaks the partial refresh capability in IE. So at present I'm living with the actionStatus problem since it's by far the lesser of two evils.
jwetzlerjwetzler
Have you logged a case for the IE refresh issue?  Because that's the only way to make sure that we have someone actively working on a fix/workaround for you.
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269
Yes I have, case #02739770 and the thread below. Case status is still "New."

http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=Visualforce&thread.id=14118
jwetzlerjwetzler

I've submitted a fix for the actionStatus issues and expect it will be fixed tonight.  Of course that schedule can always change, but just wanted to give a heads up.

MarkL, please check your private messages with regards to your case.

Edit: of course I jumped the gun on this, the fix is not quite complete

Message Edited by jwetzler on 07-01-2009 07:03 PM
TehNrdTehNrd
Any updates? We are still encountering theDuplicate ids have been detected: '_viewRoot:status' when trying to deploy pages with api version 16.0 to production.
jwetzlerjwetzler
I have submitted another fix that is being tested right now, should go out next week.
TehNrdTehNrd
Cool, thanks for the updates and openess around this issue.
jwetzlerjwetzler
Jason can you give this a shot now?
TehNrdTehNrd

I just updated the page that was having issues to 16.0 and it deployed fine. Page has multiple actionStatus componenets and they all appear to be working after a few quick tests.

Thanks again and have a good weekend,

Jason

Message Edited by TehNrd on 07-17-2009 04:36 PM