function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
shane1800shane1800 

iPhone 3.0 - Visualforce and GPS?

Hello,

Looks like the new salesforce application allows Visualforce and GPS on it.  Only problem for me is I do not know what this means or is!  

Does anyone know what can be done now on the iPhone that couldn't be done before, any interesting ideas to take advantage of these new features?

If so I will start working on using these features. 

Thanks!

Shane 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
LarryHLarryH

What this means is that you can mask the UI of salesforce.com and change it's appearance to suit your needs. An example of this is starbucks ideas. I believe this uses salesforce.com CRM with visualforce so that it appears you have never left starbucks.com.

With GPS enabled smartphones/iphones, you are able to capture the corrdinates where a mobile user logs sfdc information. I am unsure if this functionality has been expanded to constantly capture the lat/long of a mobile user. When a record is saved, it will attach lat/long coordinates to a custom object that you create. This is found in chapter 5 of the most recent SFDC cookbook.

I'm experimenting with this functionality as well to see if it may benefit our organization.

-LH

All Answers

LarryHLarryH

What this means is that you can mask the UI of salesforce.com and change it's appearance to suit your needs. An example of this is starbucks ideas. I believe this uses salesforce.com CRM with visualforce so that it appears you have never left starbucks.com.

With GPS enabled smartphones/iphones, you are able to capture the corrdinates where a mobile user logs sfdc information. I am unsure if this functionality has been expanded to constantly capture the lat/long of a mobile user. When a record is saved, it will attach lat/long coordinates to a custom object that you create. This is found in chapter 5 of the most recent SFDC cookbook.

I'm experimenting with this functionality as well to see if it may benefit our organization.

-LH

This was selected as the best answer
shane1800shane1800

Thanks for the clarity.  

I would love to have salespeople be able to see what accounts are near them using gps and the iphone map.

LarryHLarryH

It's possible. There is actually an app that does so via the exchange called sales radar i think. To do so inhouse, what you need to do is:

1) build the GPS Custom Object in salesforce.com that captures lat/long coordinates

2) capture lat/long coordinates for each of your accounts

3) create a relationship between your GPS object and accounts

4) identify your criteria for identifying opps and then either write a trigger or use workflow to alert your mobile sales person.

we're doing something similar... Our focus is more retention based!

-LH

shane1800shane1800
Very cool will look into it.