function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ShikibuShikibu 

textmate Salesforce_com.tmbundle: will it be updated?

I'm using the textmate plugin for salesforce. Any chance the associated apexloader.app will be updated, or perhaps the source released?

The eclipse ide is just too fragile, so I'm developing using TextMate as editor with ant migration tool for uploading, but Salesforce_com.tmbundle is great for recompiling just one class or trigger at a time.

Message Edited by Shikibu on 03-19-2009 08:25 AM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SuperfellSuperfell
I just uploaded a build that uses the v17 API.

All Answers

SuperfellSuperfell
I hear so little about it, i thought no one was using it. What are you looking to get updated? just the API version?
ShikibuShikibu

Yes, just that would be great. Though, I would be doubly pleased if I could also load apex pages. And I would be triply pleased if the code were made available, so I could cannibalize it for creating some other integration stuff (not on OSX).

My experience with the eclipse ide for salesforce is that it's just so unpolished that I can't trust it. This is true on Ubuntu, but it's even worse on OSX, so I have been running eclipse in a VirtualBox VM on OSX. With a shared folder, I can access a project from eclipse on Ubuntu and from TextMate on OSX at the same time.

As a newcomer to apex development, I have found the IDE useful for learning how things are done, but I've used that understanding to build a dev environment much more congenial for me, using textmate, ant, soqlexplorer, and workbench.

So ant can do my upload/compile tasks for me, but it's nice to have a single keystroke to compile the single file I am working on in TM.

BTW, Simon, thank you so much for the great tools you've made available, including this bundle, SoqlExplorer (rocks!), LexiLoader.

SuperfellSuperfell
I don't see much of a problem with making it open source, although its all objective-c osx stuff, so its not entirely helpful on any other platform (and most of the code is the API client, which has been open source for years).
SuperfellSuperfell

I updated it to API v15.0, and posted the source code, its available on google code

http://code.google.com/p/apexmate/downloads/list

I added your feature requests to the issues list, feel free to add any others. 

ShikibuShikibu
Oh yay, thank you Simon!
a.schaefera.schaefer
thanks Simon!
really appreciate your work for the Mac/Salesforce community!

- Andreas
sebipinnsebipinn
Hey, can you update the version to 17? Or, how about making the version a dropdown option where you set up credentials?
SuperfellSuperfell
I just uploaded a build that uses the v17 API.
This was selected as the best answer
sebipinnsebipinn
Thanks so much! Any plans on adding support to upload VisualForce Pages as well?
SuperfellSuperfell
That's on the todo list. (see http://code.google.com/p/apexmate/issues/list)
sebipinnsebipinn

That's great. I'm learning objective-c right now your code isn't too intimidating fortunately. If another release is made, do I just edit the version line that you have in there? I remember recompiling but I don't think i overwrote the ApexLoader.app. Im not exactly sure what to do after that.

SuperfellSuperfell
Depends on what changes in the new API version, it may be as simple as just changing the version number, or it may need additional code changes as well. Once you've recompiled you need to copy the new executable into the textmate bundle (if you do a view contents on the plugin in from finder, you can see where the new executable would go). 
sebipinnsebipinn
Just in case anyone else had isssues upgrading to Salesforce Apex Plugin 4 for textmate, remove the bundle first by clicking the minus sign in the Bundle Editor and then simply add the Bundle back. For some reason it was still uploading with API 9.0. Now it uploads with 17.0 as expected. Thanks a lot again for this great plugin. I develop much faster than waiting for eclipse :P Textmate forever.
snievassnievas

Any news or plans on updating the bundle to v18?

ddddavoddddavo

Hi Simon,

I've just acquired an Intel mac to run textmate and your wonderful plug-in.  That's after I determined (with your help) that trying to get it running on a PPC mac was a fool's errand.

I'm running MaxOS 10.4.11, and a demo version of Textmate.  I downloaded a couple of different versions of your plug-in for salesforce, and I put it into the Bundles folder as your website suggests.

It pretends to be Just Fine:  the bundle shows up in the list, and when I attempt things like "Execute anonymous" it opens up a window and acts as if it might actually do something (no error messages = OK by me...)

But when I try the Login menu item, exactly nothing happens.  It attempts to open the ApexLoader, but the icon disappears almost instantaneously.  There are no error messages (even when I run the ApexLoader from the command line/terminal shell)--it just dies.

Is this some sort of an install error?  TextMate claims to support 10.4...but maybe some library stuff you depend on isn't compatible, or is just plain missing.

Just to put this in perspective, I've acquired two macs for the sole purpose of running your plugin...so take that as a vote of confidence in the importance/relevance of this to my business.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

SuperfellSuperfell

Did you download the textmate plugin from this page? http://www.pocketsoap.com/weblog/2007/06/1769.html, this'll be your best bet for a version that works on Tiger.

ddddavoddddavo

yeah, that's the version I've got.

for your latest version, what OS do I need to upgrade to (please refer to it by its numeric name...I'm clueless about the animal monikers).

thanks

SuperfellSuperfell

The original version should work on 10.4.x, but obviously its been a long time since i've tried it. You could check the console log to see if there are any useful errors reported in there /Applications/Utiilities/Console.app

If you want to run the current version of the plugin you'll need 10.6.x

SuperfellSuperfell

Did you get this going, or still having problems ?

ddddavoddddavo

thanks for checking in , Simon!

got the old plugin running on OSX 10.4, but that had be stuck back in the dark ages (api 9)

upgrading the mac to 10.6 this weekend, should be up to snuff then.

please make sure to alert this thread when you do an api upgrade...would love to have this as my main-line tool, rather than eclipse (the 800 MB wonder)

ddddavoddddavo

Hi Simon,

So I've got your latest plugin (thank you) and a nice little mac and a copy of textmate.  Everything is basically working for classes.

But when I try to compile a trigger in a production org, I get the error message indicating "....you need to use compile and test".  I see no such item on the your bundle menu.  Is this something that can be easily added in the bundle editor, or is it something you need to put into your code?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide on this.

SuperfellSuperfell

This is something that would need to be added to the native code.