function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sfadmin1.2531195399833853E12sfadmin1.2531195399833853E12 

sf3 - An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x19) was found in the element content of the document.

How can I debug which contact contains this character and eliminate it?  It's an ASCII 'em', a Control-Y.  It probably got in a contact via a cut/paste.  I don't care about keeping it as much as I care about SF3 working.

How can I modify the SF3 code to encode this correctly so that I (and others) don't get this error again?

It appears that SF3 maintenance is non existant.  Is there a way for that to get resurected?  Anyone want to join me?

I really, *really*, REALLY, *REALLY* want to sync my SF account with my Mac iCal and Address Book.

SuperfellSuperfell

It needs to strip the characters that are invalid for xml out of the strings before making the api calls, you may want to look at the maildrop source code, as i fixed the same issue in maildrop a while back. This would probably want to go in BaseMapper cleanSObjectForWriting see  http://code.google.com/p/sf3/source/browse/trunk/sfCubed/BaseMapper.m

Its open source, so patches welcome. (and the reasons why it doesn't get a lot of work done on it are (a) testing is long winded painful process, (b) sync services is particularly tricky when the data models between the 2 sides don't match, and trying to remember/take into account all the various things that can go on mean I can't work on it in small peicemeal chunks, its requires much longer solid chunks of time to make progress, and i just don't have that).

SuperfellSuperfell

And see cleanValue in SObjectPermsWrapper for an implementation of the code to strip out the invalid chars. http://code.google.com/p/maildrop/source/browse/trunk/maildrop/SObjectPermsWrapper.m

Simon,

I've been an Open Source developer since 1985 (if you'll allow anachronistic application of the term "Open Source" to "Free Software"), but looking at the code you pointed me to scares me.  I'd be willing to "Go Agile", and do some "pairwise programming", or to be the "apprentice" on the project, but I'm not up to going it alone.  Could you point me to a "master" to get me started?

Thanks,
Michael Wolf

Before I start to clean up the code, I'd like to make sure that I can access the bi-directional data for testing purposes. 

How can I get access to the data that's going back and forth so that I can see the invalid character before the fix and see how it's been cleaned up after the fix?

SuperfellSuperfell

I fixed this issue while i was experimenting with one way sync, here's a build (it'll default to one way sync, so you'll need to set it back to bi-directional).

It requires OSX 10.6, let me know how you get on if you try it.

http://www.pocketsoap.com/osx/sf3/sfCubed_v0.64.zip