function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MSVRadMSVRad 

Help with Controller extension

I am creating a visualforce page, and I would like an action to occur "onchange" of a picklist.

Here is what I have for the visualforce page for the section I am trying to rerender:

<apex:pageBlockSectionItem > <apex:outputLabel value="Stage" /> <apex:selectList value="{!SelectedStage}" size="1"> <apex:selectOptions value="{!StageOptions}" /> <apex:actionSupport reRender="oppForm" event="onchange" status="showCloseoutSection" /> </apex:selectList> </apex:pageBlockSectionItem> <apex:actionStatus startText="(rendering closeout information...)" id="showCloseoutSection"/> </apex:pageBlockSection> <apex:actionRegion > <apex:pageBlockSection title="Closeout Information" rendered="{!Opportunity.StageName == 'Contract Signed'}" id="closeoutBlock" columns="1"> <apex:inputField value="{!Opportunity.Win_Lost_Reason__c}"/> <apex:inputField value="{!Opportunity.Competitor_Lost_To_Or_Replaced__c}"/> <apex:inputField value="{!Opportunity.Price_CT_Prelim__c}"/> </apex:pageBlockSection> </apex:actionRegion>

Here is what I have so far for my controller:

public class OpportunityClosedLost { public Opportunity opp; public apexpages.standardController controller {get; set;} //Used to determine if the action is an insert or update. public Boolean bUpdate{get; set;} public opportunityClosedLost(ApexPages.StandardController stdController) { // constructor controller = stdController; this.opp= (Opportunity)stdController.getRecord(); Opportunity opps = (Opportunity)stdController.getRecord(); opps = [SELECT RecordTypeId, StageName FROM Opportunity WHERE id=:system.currentpageReference().getparameters().get('id')]; //VRC opportunity if(opps.RecordTypeId =='012700000009RIb'){ isVrc = true; } //vRad Alliance Opportunity if(opps.RecordTypeId =='012R00000000M08'){ isAlliance = true; } //EC Opportinity if(opps.RecordTypeId =='012700000005KwS'){ isEc = true; } } public List<SelectOption> getStageOptions(){ List<SelectOption> options = new List<SelectOption>(); options.add(new SelectOption('null','-- Select One --')); Schema.DescribeFieldResult oppStage = Schema.sObjectType.Opportunity.fields.StageName; for (Schema.PickListEntry oppPickVal : oppStage.getPicklistValues()){ // create a selectoption for each pickval options.add(new SelectOption(oppPickVal.getValue(),oppPickVal.getLabel())); } return options; } public Boolean isVrc{ get{ if(isVrc == null){ isVrc = false; } return isVrc; } set; } public Boolean isAlliance{ get{ if(isAlliance == null){ isAlliance = false; } return isAlliance; } set; } public Boolean isEc{ get{ if(isEc == null){ isEc = false; } return isEc; } set; } public String SelectedStage{ get {return SelectedStage;} set; } }

Right now it does not render the pageblocksection that has the <actionRegion> tags around it. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong or as to why it is not rendering?  The actionstatus does appear even though nothing is rendered.  I also noticed that when i select an option from the picklist that is suppose control the rendering of the pageblocksection The option does not get saved when save is clicked.

Thanks!

Message Edited by MSVRad on 08-12-2009 10:23 AM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Just had a closer look.

The property used to store the selected value from the picklist isn't the same as that which controls the rendering of the section. 

When the user selects a value it will be stored into SelectedStage.  This appears to be a simple string property on your controller. 

The section is rendered based on Opportunity.StageName == 'Contract Signed'. 

Unless you update Opportunity.StageName from the SelectedStage value, the section will remain unrendered. 

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

A couple of things:

You haven't defined an action method for your action support component.

You are re-rendering oppForm when the picklist changes - I assume this is wrapping the page snippet you have shown us?

Try wrapping the pageBlockSection in an outputPanel and re-rendering that.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Just had a closer look.

The property used to store the selected value from the picklist isn't the same as that which controls the rendering of the section. 

When the user selects a value it will be stored into SelectedStage.  This appears to be a simple string property on your controller. 

The section is rendered based on Opportunity.StageName == 'Contract Signed'. 

Unless you update Opportunity.StageName from the SelectedStage value, the section will remain unrendered. 

This was selected as the best answer
MSVRadMSVRad

Thank you for your help, I think I have been staring at that extension and page way too long. So I have eliminated the SelectedStage property and now the render works. I am still rendering the form and it works this way. So now the Dilemma is that the stages all appear in a list instead of a dropdown menu(picklist). 

Once this section of the vf page was changed to this:  <apex:selectList value="{!Opportunity.StageName}">

<apex:pageBlockSectionItem > <apex:outputLabel value="Stage" /> <apex:selectList value="{!Opportunity.StageName}" > <apex:selectOptions value="{!StageOptions}" /> <apex:actionSupport reRender="oppForm" event="onchange" status="showCloseoutSection" /> </apex:selectList> </apex:pageBlockSectionItem> <apex:actionStatus startText="(rendering closeout information...)" id="showCloseoutSection"/>

I guess I am just having issues with the concept of the selectList and selectOptions.  Any suggestions as of a good way to explain the use of selectList and selectOptions better than the force.com Developer Guide?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
Your use of the selectlist looks fine to me.  When you say they are appearing as a list, do you mean that all the options are being displayed at once, rather than a list to scroll through?  Try setting size="1" attribute on your selectlist.
MSVRadMSVRad
Perfect! Thank you so much for your help.