function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Divya GoelDivya Goel 

Visual Force in PE

I am using Professional Edition. I am getting the Option to create the Pages but I am not Getting the Option create Apex Classes. So I am not able to write Controllers for my VF Pages.

What is the use of VF Pages when we can not create the custom Controller in PE.  

Please let me know the option?

Thanks,

a.schaefera.schaefer
One can embed a lot of logic and functionality in a VisualForce page without using a custom controller/class. While this is quite limited as compared to the possibilities with Enterprise Edition, it allows for some nice usability enhancements.
Depending on your needs, the options are simply: create rich VisualForce pages without controller or move to EE and have the advantage of full Apex, as well as (among other features) Workflows and Profiles.

cheers,
Andreas
mtbclimbermtbclimber

Here are a couple of examples of what you can do without Apex:

Visualforce_DynamicEditPage

Visualforce_Quote2PDF

The PDF page you'll see has no controller on it. The page that generates the Quote and Quote line items custom objects in that example does require an apex extension, however but the PDF page doesn't technically rely on that.

You should also check out the Standard List Controllers as you can use them as well and they have some pretty powerful functionality.

Message Edited by mtbclimber on 05-05-2009 08:33 AM