function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
anu_karthianu_karthi 

dynamically populating the inputfields

Hi everyone,

I am working with lookup field in my page which is looking to the same object and wen i selectesd some value using lookup field then i want the rest of input fields values of my visualforce page to be automatically populated once i click button ..so as iam new to visual force development i dont have any idea whether its possible if possible how to do that ..just give an example of achieving it......

my code is as follows....

<apex:page standardController="CAF_Bank__c">
<script>
function autopopulate()
{
<!--it should autopopulatethe rest of fields related to the object which iam looking over through the lookup-->

}
</script>
    <apex:form >
        <apex:pageBlock title="My Content">
            <apex:pageBlockSection title="My Content Section" columns="2">
              <apex:pageBlockSectionItem >
               <!-- <apex:outputLabel value="Lookup to an Contact" for="theLookup"/>-->
                <!--<apex:inputField id="theLookup" value="{!CAF_Bank__c.caf_lookup__c}"/>-->
                <apex:outputLabel value="BranchCode" for="theLookup"/>
                <apex:inputField id="theLookup" value="{!CAF_Bank__c.caf_lookup__c}"/>

</apex:pageBlockSectionItem>
              <apex:outputLabel value="Bank Name "/>
                <apex:inputField id="bname" value="{!CAF_Bank__c.Bank_Name__c}"/>
              <apex:outputLabel value="Branch Name "/>
                <apex:inputField id="branchname" value="{!CAF_Bank__c.Branch_Name__c}"/>
            </apex:pageBlockSection>
        </apex:pageBlock>
        <apex:commandButton  value="Autopopulate" onclick="autopopulate()"/>
    </apex:form>
</apex:page>

Thanks&Regards,

Anu......

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

So are you saying that when the user chooses a lookup, it should fill in the rest of the input fields using the looked up object?  If that is the case, you will need to pass the chosen lookup field back to the controller (which will happen automatically, because you have used an sobject field to back the lookup).  

Then you will need to populate the sobject backing the various other input fields based on the lookup id.  At the moment it appears that you are trying to use the same sobject, which I can't see working.

I'd suggest making your commandbutton invoke an action method to set this stuff up rather than going off to javascript. 

anu_karthianu_karthi

hi bob,

thanks for your repy, i do agree with ur  suggestion..But i find diffuculty in doing all stuff in d controller as u suggested ..

so plz give me a working example in achieving my requirement....so that i can understand the way i have to do it..

Thanks& Regards,

Anu...

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

I don't have any examples of this that I can just paste in I'm afraid.

Happy to assist if you can post your code and details of problems. 

anu_karthianu_karthi

hi bob ,

thanks as u said u r happy to help me ,great to have such a strong support.as u told i would like to clearly explain my problem ..this is my visualforce page..

<apex:page standardController="CAF_Bank__c" extensions="lookup3">
<script>
function branchpopulate()
  {
   <!-- here iam trying to fetch the list which is having queried output ie  branchname field value corresponding to record whose branchcode value==lookup field value values -->    
 var myArray = new Array();
  myArray= '{!CurrentBranchList}'.replace('[','').replace(']','').split(',');
            var currbranchname=myArray;
                  alert(currbranchname);

<!--but currbranchname is displaying some strange values but not the exact branch name corresponding to a record which i queried in d controller so plz correct me how to do this task of fetching that record related to my lookup field value and populate those values to ui ie visualforce page....-->                 document.getElementById('{!$Component.form1.branchname}').value=currbranchname;  

<!--here iam popuilating branch code value to the visualforce page inputfield value-->    
       return false;    
     }
 </script>
  <apex:form >
    <apex:pageBlock title="My Content">
        <apex:pageBlockSection title="My Content Section" columns="2">
              <apex:outputLabel value="BranchCode" for="theLookup"/>
               <apex:inputField id="theLookup" value="{!CAF_Bank__c.caf_lookup__c}" />

<!--i want to pass this lookup field valuue to my controller so i have to filter query using this value,but iam not able to pass it i am able to pass textfield value using setters and getters but iam not able to pass this lookup fielsd value plz tell me how to pass this value to controller -->

<apex:pageBlockSectionItem>
              <apex:outputLabel value="Bank Name"/>
                <apex:inputField id="bname" value="{!CAF_Bank__c.Bank_Name__c}"/>
              <apex:outputLabel value="Branch Name "/>
                <apex:inputField id="branchname" value="{!CAF_Bank__c.Branch_Name__c}"/>
            </apex:pageBlockSection>
        </apex:pageBlock>
    <apex:commandButton value="autopopulating" onclick="branchpopulate()"/>
      </apex:form>
</apex:page>

My controller is as follows:

public class lookup3
{
List<String> CurrentBranchList=new List<String>();
public CAF_Bank__c caf {get; set;}
ApexPages.StandardController con;
public lookup3(ApexPages.StandardController controller) {
this.con = controller;
caf = [select caf_lookup__c from CAF_Bank__c limit 1];// trying to get the current lookup field to controller correct me if iam wrong//String lookedupvalue = caf.caf_lookup__c;
/*trying to fetch the value of the branchk name where bankname correspondind to current branchcode*/
CAF_Bank__c [] currentbranchnames=[SELECT  Branch_Name__c FROM CAF_Bank__c  where Branch_Code__c=:lookedupvalue];
for (CAF_Bank__c f :currentbranchnames)
{
CurrentBranchList.add(f.Branch_Name__c);//passing the queried output to the list so that i can pass this list to the vpage //}
}
public String[] getCurrentBranchList() {
return CurrentBranchList;
}
}

So finally what iam trying to do here is just passing lookupfield value to controller and query the record related to that lookupfield value and pass thiss queried output to vpage and automatically populate those values to the input fieldsup onselecting any lookup field value in vfpage..

So bob if iam not clear to u abt  my requirement plz let me know.and plz correct my mistakes so that io can fulfil my requirement...

Thanks&Regards,

Anu....

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
Is currentbranchlist intended to be a list of strings, or is it a single branch name?  Rather than sending this back as a list of strings, I would build a single string that contains the comma seperated names.  Otherwise you are relying on the string representation of a list never changing.
The way that you are using this input field means that when you invoke an action method, the CAF_Bank__c.caf_lookup__c will contain the value that the user has chosen.  Thus you can use this to filter the results.

<apex:inputField id="theLookup" value="{!CAF_Bank__c.caf_lookup__c}" />

anu_karthianu_karthi

Hi bob,

Yes you r right that currentbranch list contains a single branch name which i am calling in vpage and assigning to an array so that i can assign the input field value with this currentbranchlist...that is what iam trying to do... and asyou said iam trying to use this userchosen lookup field to filter my result...hope you clearly understood my problem now.....

so y iam not able to dothis particular functionality, is dere any were iam going wrong if so please assist me in solving my issue...

Thanks&Regards,

Anuu.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

So if you are only ever populating the branch name with a single string, don't store it in a list and mess around converting it to an array, store it as a string property in the controller and use that in the page.

What problems are you seeing with regard to the lookup field?  Is it not getting set in the controller?  

I suggest you add some system.debug statements to ensure that the data you have in the controller matches what you expect - attempting to figure out what's going on from the page and javascript is a painful process. 

anu_karthianu_karthi

Hi bob,

Thanks for your reply, s i will do as if u suggested,and  ur rite that lookup field is not getting set in the controller,...

Thanks&regards,

anu....