function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SudipTSudipT 

Public Group Members access rights

Hi,

I wanted to know the following about public groups:

In a public group, what access rights do the members have on each other records, if the organization wide default for the object is private?

Help on this will be highly appeciated. If someone can tell if there is some documentation around public group members access rights in Salesforce, it will be great.

Thanks,
ST
caroline_sfdccaroline_sfdc
Hi Sudip,

By default, public groups have no additional access rights unless there are sharing rules or manual sharing rules defined that grant members of that group extra rights. So if I'm in a public group with Adam, I can't see Adam's records unless there's a sharing rule or manual sharing rule defined:
  • Sharing rules can be defined by an administrator on the Sharing Settings page (where you set organization-wide defaults--click Setup > Security Controls > Sharing Settings). They apply to all records of a particular object type. For example, an admin can define a sharing rule that grants all members of the MyGroup public group Read access to Accounts.

• Manual sharing rules can be defined by a record owner to explicitly share that record with other users or public groups. To do so, the owner needs to click the Sharing button on that record's detail page. Manual sharing rules only apply to the record that was shared, they have no impact on other records, even of the same object type.
Salesforce permissions/security can be confusing because they're controlled by a wide variety of tools including profiles, field-level security, role hierarchy, sharing rules, and manual sharing. For a good description of how all those tools interact with one another, I highly suggest you read Chapter 7 in "Creating On-Demand Applications," one of the free e-books available at developer.salesforce.com to all ADN members (visit http://wiki.apexdevnet.com/index.php/Creating_On-Demand_Applications:_An_Introduction_to_the_Force.com_Platform).

Hope that helps,

Caroline Roth

Sr. Technical Writer, salesforce.com
SudipTSudipT
Thanks Caroline, that was helpful.