function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
marisamarisa 

When Visualforce will be released to end users and in which editions?

Hi,

I understand that currently Visualforce is only available in Developer Edition for preview. Just would like to know when Visualforce will be released to end users and in which editions so that we can decide whether to use Visualforce in our application.

Thanks,
Marisa
TehNrdTehNrd
Rumor mill says salesforce.com is shooting for the next release after Spring 08 but no guarantees.

As for edition availability details are slim but I would assume it would be similar to Apex as they are tightly intertwined.
Scooter429Scooter429
When Visualforce becomes GA will we be able to package it in AppExchange applications?  When Apex code was released it initially could not be packaged.  Do we anticipate this will be the case with VF as well?

Thanks
Scott
marisamarisa

Thanks a lot for the information!

Marisa

mtbclimbermtbclimber
Keep in mind we can change availability (timing and editions) at any time, however, at this point in time we are planning for visualforce to be available in the release following Spring '08 - currently targeted for Summer and it would be included in all editions (apex controllers and extensions available to Enterprise and Unlimited customers as well as in your Developer Edition accounts).

We are building packaging support as part of that plan but like Apex if packaging support is not ready we will hold it back. We certainly strive to make new features package-able when they are released but with distribution comes many complexities and given our aggressive release schedule (frequency) we are sometimes forced to cut scope to assure we make the declared timing with a quality product. That is what happened with Apex, as unfortunate as that was, and we don't want to see the same happen with visualforce but it may become necessary.

Regards,
Andrew
dchasmandchasman
"As for edition availability details are slim but I would assume it would be similar to Apex as they are tightly intertwined."

VF can be used very effectively without writting a single line of apex code (for dev preview we have tied the permissions for apex code and VF together but that linkage is being removed as part of GA)  - take a closer look at the Standard Controller functionality that we created to broaden the reach of visualforce. The Standard Controller support fully bidirection databinding (scontrols only support read access server side and require using the ajax toolkit via javascript to do anything more), allows easy creation of pages to be used as overrides for standard pages, automatically creates SOQL queries including joins based entirely on what the page formulas reference, works with standard and custom objects and fields. etc.
TehNrdTehNrd
Yes, that is true.

I guess my brain just defaults to all the crazy cool complex things visualforce is capable of. :smileyvery-happy:
NSE_ProgrammerNSE_Programmer
Is there a web page I could visit that would let me know the progress and/or tentative release date of Visual Force? Is it still targeted for the Summer release?

Thanks