function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Susana NTSSusana NTS 

Overwrite New button with Visualforce and avoid recordtype selection

Hi,

I need to overwrite the behaviour of the New button (for several objetcs).
The new behaviour should just not allow the creation of a new record and show a concrete message to the user warning about that.

The problem is that I'm not able to avoid the recordtype selection step because, even if I specified a value for the page "action" property, it executes first the recordtype selection step and then my action.
Is it possible to skip the recordtype selection step with a visualforce page? I know how to do it with s-controls but I need Visualforce here.

Thanks in advance,

Susana

rocwilcoxrocwilcox

You can make your own visual force controler and page, but that might be overkill.

what about a validation rule that prohibits new records of a given record type?  

You can do that via the create object's page under 'setup'....

Susana NTSSusana NTS

Thanks for your reply. The thing is that I don't need to avoid creating records of a given record type but to avoid creating any record regardless of its record type. That's why having to select the record type is a waste of time and clicks.

The situation is this: every tab has a "New" button and users aren't allow to use that button. If a user clicks it, a message should appear.

rocwilcoxrocwilcox

Oh.. Ok.  Well this is simply a administrative security function.

First, I should warn you that you can not alter the 'standard profiles' only 'custom profiles' (each user has a profile)

You can revoke create/edit/delete/read (individually) permissions for each object in SF.

Go to 'setup'... 'manage users'...'profiles'... then down in the object permissions sections remove the create permission for example, and the 'new' button will go away on the standard salesforce page for object.

ew

Susana NTSSusana NTS

I think I'm not making myself clear...

What I want is that users cannot create a record from the object home page, I mean from its tab.

I definitely need them to create records but they have to do it from an specific related list. 

Susana NTSSusana NTS

Btw, I logged an idea related to this matter.

Please, feel free to promote it if it seems useful and beneficial.

https://sites.secure.force.com/ideaexchange/apex/ideaview?id=087300000006wbpAAA 

Thank you,

Susana 

Message Edited by Susana NTS on 24-12-2009 10:12 AM