function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tom Hoban.ax728Tom Hoban.ax728 

Accessing Custom Component Inside Installed Managed Package from VF Email Template

We have a managed package that includes a Visual Force Custom Component that is accessed from a Visual Force Email Template.  We have no problem accessing the component from a packaged VF Email Template.  However, post install, I don't know how to  create a new VF Email Template that can reference the packaged VF Custom Component. 

We get this error:

Error: Component c:ourCustomComponent does not exist

Our VF Email template looks like this:

<messaging:emailTemplate subject="Past Due Balance" recipientType="Contact" relatedToType="ournamespace__OurCustomObject__c">
  <messaging:htmlEmailBody >
     <br/><apex:image value="{!relatedTo.ournamespace__our_field1__c}" />
     <br/><br/><br/>Dear {!recipient.firstName}:

<br/><br/>This is to inform you that you owe: <apex:outputfield value="{!relatedTo.ournamespace__our_field2__c}"/>

</messaging:htmlEmailBody>
  <messaging:attachment renderAs="application/vnd.ms-excel" filename="invoices" >  
     <c:ourCustomComponet ourId="{!relatedTo.Id}"/>  
  </messaging:attachment>
</messaging:emailTemplate>

I saw another posting related to using a packaged custom component inside of a Visual Force page that suggested replacing the "c:" with "namespace:" in front of the component name, but this does not work.  Generates this error:

Error: Unknown component ournamespace:ourCustomComponent

Surely, there must be a way to use a packaged component from an email template.  Has anyone enountered this problem and know of a good solution? 

Thanks,

Tom

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 

Adding access="global" to the <apex:attribute> tags in my component fixed it.  I already had global on the component itself.

So these seem to be the things to keep in mind if you package a custom component and want to use in an installed org:

1) set access="global" in the <apex:component ...> tag of the component.

2) set access="global" in any <apex:attribute...> tag included in the component.

3) reference the component with namespace:componentName, rather than c:componentName

All Answers

aballardaballard

How is the component defined?  Is it global?

The component is global.  However, I realize that it has an attribute that is not global.  I have changed that and am uploading my new package as I write this reply.  I let you know what happens.

Adding access="global" to the <apex:attribute> tags in my component fixed it.  I already had global on the component itself.

So these seem to be the things to keep in mind if you package a custom component and want to use in an installed org:

1) set access="global" in the <apex:component ...> tag of the component.

2) set access="global" in any <apex:attribute...> tag included in the component.

3) reference the component with namespace:componentName, rather than c:componentName

This was selected as the best answer
aballardaballard

Sounds like the error handling was less than ideal. 

Note it should be possible to have a public attribute on a component, but it can be used only by pages/components in the same package.   (And therefore, it cannot be a "required" attribute).