function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeffTrullJeffTrull 

Campaign Hierarchy display/select via cascading menus or expandable tree view

I just did some work to take advantage of the tree nature of the Campaign hierarchy to make a cleaner display/selection mechanism for users.  I thought I'd post it here and see what people thought.  I used ExtJS and a custom controller to create:

1. A cascading popup menu of campaigns (one menu per level)
  2. A tree view, similar to file/directory browsers, where more of the hierarchy is revealed as you expand "folders" (Campaigns with child Campaigns)

It looks like this:

campaign hierarchy browse/select in action

I think this is an improvement over the built-in "search by name" popup in that users may not know what they're looking for in advance.  The alternative of scrolling through all the names may be painful too (we have > 500 Campaigns).

The Apex class is here and the Visualforce page is here.  A much longer blog post on this subject is here.

Would be very interested to hear people's impressions and suggestions.

Thanks,

Jeff Trull

Message Edited by JeffTrull on 02-23-2010 12:23 PM
jkucerajkucera
Looks great!  Looks like a great tool for navigating the trees.  If possible, adding hierarchy stats for each campaign would make it even more powerful as it would become a great tool for browsing campaign success or failure and comparing campaigns or programs in different levels.
JeffTrullJeffTrull

Just rebuilt these as VF components for easier reuse - code and discussion here

JeffTrullJeffTrull

Just revised the tree view to allow drag-and-drop editing of Campaign or Account hierarchies.  Details here