function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
wattsswattss 

Replacing Standard Page with Custom Page

I am attempting to replace a standard page for a custom page when the New button is clicked for a custom object.

So far I have been able to create Visualforce custom page.

Next I go to Create > Objects and select my custom object.

In the Standard Buttons and Links block I click on Edit for New.

The override page is displayed however when I select Override With Visulaforce Page the dropdown only lists "-- None --"

When I click on Edit for the Tab, the override With Visualforce Page drop down lists my custom Visualforce page.

Is there a configuration/customization value I am missing?

Why is my custom page not listed in the dropdown when I attempt to override the New page?

As an example I am using the following article

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Visualforce_DynamicEditPage
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
RCJesseRCJesse

I'm not if this stands with custom objects but when overriding a button on a standard object the visualforce page must use that standard controller. You controller has to act as an extension so to include the extended functionality. 

So for example I override the New button on the lead object. So my VisualForce page is declared like this:  

<apex:page StandardController="Lead" extensions="searchUI" tabStyle="Lead">

Not because I am actually using anything from the Lead standard controller but just so I can override the lead button. Then i included my custom controller as the extension. 

All Answers

RCJesseRCJesse

I'm not if this stands with custom objects but when overriding a button on a standard object the visualforce page must use that standard controller. You controller has to act as an extension so to include the extended functionality. 

So for example I override the New button on the lead object. So my VisualForce page is declared like this:  

<apex:page StandardController="Lead" extensions="searchUI" tabStyle="Lead">

Not because I am actually using anything from the Lead standard controller but just so I can override the lead button. Then i included my custom controller as the extension. 

This was selected as the best answer
wattsswattss

Thank you for your quick reply.

This is what I added to the Visualforce page.

<apex:page StandardController="CustomObject__c"> 

rather than

<apex:page> 

The custom page now appears in the drop down list. 

RCJesseRCJesse
No problem, Its something that stumped me before.