function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TehNrdTehNrd 

New UI + large picklist + rerender + FF3 = headache

There appears to be an issue that has always been present but it is now coming to light with the new user interface. If you are using the new ui, have a large picklist, perform a rerender, and are using Firefox 3 the panel that is being rerendered flashes blue. I did some quick testing with the old UI and this behavior is there but the panel flashes white and is barely noticeable. The new bright blue background is obnoxiously apparent with the new ui.

What is quite bizarre is that if the picklist has a selected value that is less than 20 you will not see the behavior. Perhaps this is Firefox's fault but I would think there is someway to prevent the bright blue flash by updated the CSS or javascript that performs the rerender. Below is the code to reproduce and there is also a video that shows how annoying this can be from a user experience perspective.

<apex:page controller="rerenderFlash" >
<apex:form >
<apex:pageBlock id="block">

<apex:pageBlockButtons >
<apex:commandButton value="Rerender" rerender="block" />
</apex:pageBlockButtons>

<apex:pageBlockSection >
<apex:selectList value="{!selectedValue}" size="1" id="number" >
<apex:selectOptions value="{!options}" />
</apex:selectList>
</apex:pageBlockSection>

</apex:pageBlock>
</apex:form>
</apex:page>

public class rerenderFlash {

public List<SelectOption> options {get; set;}
public string selectedValue {get; set;}

public rerenderFlash(){
options = new List<SelectOption>();
for(Integer i = 0; i < 100; i++){
options.add(new selectOption(String.valueOf(i),String.valueOf(i)));
}
selectedValue = '90';
}

Video: http://vimeo.com/10013511

Message Edited by TehNrd on 03-08-2010 12:58 PM
TehNrdTehNrd
Case#: 03373421
TH53TH53
We noticed the very same thing. Please let us know if/how the case gets resolved. Thanks!
TehNrdTehNrd
Will do. No response yet so I pinged them.
TH53TH53

This is kind of strange. My colleague who is using the exact same VF page, does not see the flash. I am on FF 3.6 and he is using FF 3.5.8.

What version are you using?

I've also experienced some extremely slow behavior with highlight selection. Wonder if there is something going on with FF 3.6 and UI updates that is new with Spring '10.

TehNrdTehNrd

I'm on 3.6.

I have also seen the slow highlighting on large tables.

TehNrdTehNrd

Support saying the only supported version is 3.0 exactly. Nothing newer, while technically true according to the documentation, it sounds like a cop out.

I've confirmed this is only happening with version 3.6.

Message Edited by TehNrd on 03-17-2010 04:21 PM
TH53TH53
I agree - a bit of a cop out. I understand the challenge of staying current with the latest releases of the various browsers, however, i don't think you can actually download FF 3.0 anymore.
TehNrdTehNrd

My case got closed as "Browser not supported".