function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Developer129Developer129 

Event not executing for lookup fields

Hi,

I was trying to execute an event and then correspondingly execute an action when a user selects a value for a lookup field. How can this be done?

I am using AJAX to update a part of my page depending upon the selection for the lookup field

Thanx

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Are you using standard salesforce lookups and trying the onchange event?

If that is the case, it is likely because the value in the lookup is being changed through JavaScript, which doesn't cause an event to fire - events only fire when the user types in a value.  The rationale behind this is that if you have a script that is changing a value, you can add your additional functionality in at that point.  Unfortunately in SalesForce, the JavaScript that is making the change is hidden from you so you don't have the opportunity to do anything.

I've tended to use the onblur event, which at least fires an event when the user tabs out of the field, but it is a delayed reaction.

All Answers

Imran MohammedImran Mohammed

With Event, do you mean any javascript event like onselect, onclick etc?

If it is so, try using onchange event.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Are you using standard salesforce lookups and trying the onchange event?

If that is the case, it is likely because the value in the lookup is being changed through JavaScript, which doesn't cause an event to fire - events only fire when the user types in a value.  The rationale behind this is that if you have a script that is changing a value, you can add your additional functionality in at that point.  Unfortunately in SalesForce, the JavaScript that is making the change is hidden from you so you don't have the opportunity to do anything.

I've tended to use the onblur event, which at least fires an event when the user tabs out of the field, but it is a delayed reaction.

This was selected as the best answer
jwetzlerjwetzler

Yeah, bob_buzzard's explanation pretty much sums it up, and this was kind of a nasty bug because there are browser differences in addition to there being several different ways to populate a lookup field (typing the value in, selecting it via a lookup, using the picklist to disambiguate, etc.)  But the good news is that this was fixed pretty recently.  Whenever the next major release is, you guys should see it. 

Developer129Developer129

Hi Jill,

When is the next major release ?

ptepptep
This is an old thread, but you can do this now. It's possible that at the time of posting (2010) you couldn't...

Simply add a styleClass attribute to the lookup input, for example:

<apex:inputField value="{!myContact.AccountId}"  id="acct" styleClass="acct">

Then using jquery, add a change event with 'on':

$(document).on("change",".acct",function(e){...});

The event will fire after the input is filled from the lookup's javascript.