function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
InBlightyInBlighty 

Related Lists greater than 10 columns -- any suggestions?

Hi,

I'm in a situation where my users are quite frustrated with the related list restriction of 10 columns imposed by Salesforce.  I'm looking for any Visualforce suggestions around accomplishing this.

In short, I've got a custom Order__c object and a master-detail Order_Line_Item__c object  which has about 15 very important fields, mostly numbers, that they would like to see (and perhaps edit) when viewing an Order.

I know I can just use <apex:dataTable> and put in the columns that way, but it doesn't look so great.  I would love to have a row in a dataTable actually break into two lines of fields, representing one row of data.

I'm open to any creative suggestions!

Thanks!! 

AvromAvrom

So of course, this would no longer be a data table in the standard sense, and wouldn't support things like sorting by column (since one column of the table would correspond to two separate columns of data).

One thing you might try is using a plain-old HTML table, with an <apex:repeat> surrounding a pair of trs. For a *very* bare, just-to-show-it-can be done example (I know it's ugly):

<apex:page standardController="Account" recordSetVar="accs">
  <table>
    <apex:repeat value="{!accs}" var="acc">
      <tr>
        <td>{!acc.name}</td>
        <td>{!acc.fax}</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td>{!acc.annualRevenue}</td>
        <td>{!acc.phone}</td>
      </tr>
    </apex:repeat>
  </table>
</apex:page>

Hope this helps,

Avrom

InBlightyInBlighty

I guess what I was hoping for was a way to use a data table in the standard sense, but to have it wrap to the next "line" but still be the same "row".

I think your HTML suggestion is an interesting one!