function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
benwrigleybenwrigley 

apex:variable bug?

Hi All,

Perhaps I'm being stupid but this one seems like a bug to me. There is a little too much code to paste everything here so I'll explain.

I have a controller (TMDR_ShoppingCart) which instantiates and loads up an instance of class I've written (TMDR_RateCard Ratecard). 

TMDR_ShoppingCart has a method TMDR_RateCard getRateCard();

TMDR_Ratecard has a method List<Product2> getProducts();

All fine and all working so far.

Here is the snippet of my page:

<apex:column style="font-weight:bold" width="320px" headerValue="Name">
<apex:variable var="r" value="{!RateCard}"/> <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!r.ProductsAsList}" var="p" id="table"> <apex:column style="font-weight:bold" width="320px" headerValue="Name">
<apex:commandLink action="{!addItem}" value="{!p.name}" id="addProductLink" >           <apex:param name="productID" value="{!p.ID}"/>  </apex:commandLink>   </apex:column> </apex:pageBlockTable>

This code successfully renders a table with a list of product names. However, clicking on the link simply rerenders the page. The call to addItem() never happens (plenty of debug showed me that).

Now, if I get rid of the var and call it directly instead like so:

<apex:pageBlockTable value="{!RateCard.ProductsAsList}" var="p" id="table">
    <apex:column style="font-weight:bold" width="320px" headerValue="Name">
        <apex:commandLink action="{!addItem}" value="{!p.name}" id="addProductLink" >
            <apex:param name="productID" value="{!p.ID}"/>
         </apex:commandLink>  
    </apex:column> 
</apex:pageBlockTable> 

Page renders just as before, but now the links work.

An inspection of the rendered link shows that the code is identical for both versions

<a id="j_id0:j_id1:products:j_id2:table:0:addProductLink" href="#" onclick="if(typeof jsfcljs == 'function'){jsfcljs(document.getElementById('j_id0:j_id1'),'j_id0:j_id1:products:j_id2:table:0:addProductLink,j_id0:j_id1:products:j_id2:table:0:addProductLink,productID,01t20000000Fa4WAAS','');}return false">Basic Job</a>

And a quick edit on the fly shows that  (typeof  jsfcljs == 'function) is true in both instances.

Obvious solution is not to use the var I know , but I was actually loading it up earlier in the page to call other methods. (I've slimmed the page down massively to debug)

So, is this a bug?

TIA