function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SteveBowerSteveBower 

VF Syntax problem / bug

Can anybody tell me why this is the case, or is it just a compiler bug?

This line fails during compile with the error

<apex:column headerValue="XXX" value="{!if(rel.Child__c==null,'Contact','Child')}"/>

Save error: Syntax error.  Missing ')'.

(rel.child__c is a valid object, valid field, etc. that's not the problem.  )

If I change rel.child__c to a constant value, it compiles correctly.  (albeit it's sort of a meaningless thing to do)

If I leave rel.child__c in place and remove the header_value='XXX', it compiles correctly.

Lastly, if I change the line to:

<apex:column headerValue="XXX" value="{!if(rel.Child__c==null,'Contact','Child')}PEANUTS"/>

it compiles correctly.  It doesn't have to be "PEANUTS", adding anything, even a space let's it compile.

Clearly there's something wrong.  And, regardless, it's a really bad error message.   I'd file a bug but I wonder if someone has a logical explanation like it does something when evaluating the Value that's different depending on if it's within a formula or without, etc.  Strange.

Best, Steve.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
jwetzlerjwetzler

I don't have an explanation for you for why this is happening.  apex:column does have some special behavior to it, like if it's bound to an sObject field it will use an outputField instead of an outputText to display your value.  Maybe something in the compiler is getting hung up on that.

As mentioned the workaround is to move the value into the body of your column component.  I've logged a bug for this internally in the meantime.

All Answers

Bhawani SharmaBhawani Sharma

I am not sure , but what I could understand after a lot playing with value attribute:

Basically, This syntex is not allowed in salesforce:

<apex:column headerValue="XXX" value=""/>

When you write this, it gives :

Error: Formula expression is required for attribute value in <apex:column>

So when you are writing:

<apex:column headerValue="XXX" value="{!if(rel.Child__c==null,'Contact','Child')}"/>

it's unable to identify, what the output will be. B'coz  if your formula returning a blank value then it will be a run time exception.

like: 

<apex:column headerValue="XXX" value="{!if(rel.Child__c==null,'','')}"/>

That's why it is asking for a some constant value.

Is this make sense ?

saraha@groupesci.comsaraha@groupesci.com

Steve,

In my experience, putting anything fancy in the value attribute of a column tag does not work very well. Try putting it in the body of the tag instead, like this:

<apex:column headerValue="XXX" >

{!if(rel.Child__c==null,'Contact','Child')}

</apex:column>

--Sarah

jwetzlerjwetzler

I don't have an explanation for you for why this is happening.  apex:column does have some special behavior to it, like if it's bound to an sObject field it will use an outputField instead of an outputText to display your value.  Maybe something in the compiler is getting hung up on that.

As mentioned the workaround is to move the value into the body of your column component.  I've logged a bug for this internally in the meantime.

This was selected as the best answer
SteveBowerSteveBower

Thanks for filing the bug!  :-)   Steve.

KrakenKraken

Saraha... Thank you very very much !!!