function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MJ09MJ09 

Visualforce code is automatically re-formatted

Every now and then, when I save a Visualforce page's code in the IDE, I find that it has been re-formatted. For example, if the code originally defined a style like this:

.myClassName {border:none;width:200px;}

I'll suddenly find that the code looks like this:

.myClassName {

border:none;

width: 200px;

}

One could argue over which style is better, but the point is that I wrote it the first way, and I don't appreciate having something (the IDE? the compiler?) format it differently.

Any idea what's causing this to happen and what I can do to stop it?

FWIW, I know that I'm the only developer in this org -- there's no person who's changing this. I've seen it happen in several orgs - it's not in just one org. Also, it doesn't happen every time I save -- just sometimes.

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

If you mean Eclipse IDE, I suspect you've got the "smart edit" options enabled that is supposed to fix CSS styles and so on. I don't recall how to turn that feature off, but it should be an option under the Editor sub-section. I personally rarely use the IDE, as I find Programmer's Notepad ( pnotepad.org ) coupled with Apache Ant ( ant.apache.org ) to be more of a lower-level mechanism that gives me better control over my code and deployment process. Looking it up, it seems there's a auto-format on save feature you might be tripping over as well. I'd recommend a look-see at the toggle options available.

MJ09MJ09

Thanks for your reply!

It makes sense that this would be a generic Elipse option, but I've just been all through the Preferences dialog, and I can't find anything that looks related to this. Does anybody know what this option is called or where in Preferences to find it?