function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RuleyRuley 

Passing JavaScript Variables into a Controller

The first thing I did was read this post on http://blog.sforce.com/sforce/2009/10/passing-javascript-values-to-apex-controller.html

Here I thought I was doing everything right but I can't get the values to actually pass in.

The page itself lists out a grid of various records in a table, with one input text field per row. I want it so if they enter a value in one of the boxes, it will add it to a list of new entries to make. So the onchange event runs to add it to the list, and there is a save method that happens later that will store all of the values in lstTimeToEnter

This is the VisualForce code

<apex:actionFunction action="{!CreateTimeEntryRecord}" name="enterTime">
	<apex:param name="insertTimeTask" value="" />
	<apex:param name="insertTimeWork" value="" />
</apex:actionFunction>

<apex:inputText id="TimeEntry" onchange="enterTime({!lstTasks.ID}, this.value)"></apex:inputText>

This is the Apex Code

public PageReference CreateTimeEntryRecord() {
		insertedTimeTaskID = Apexpages.currentPage().getParameters().get('insertTimeTask');
        insertedTimeWorked = decimal.valueOf(Apexpages.currentPage().getParameters().get('insertTimeWork'));
                insertedTimeDate = date.today();

Time_Entry__c objNewTimeEntry = new Time_Entry__c(Task__c=insertedTimeTaskID, Date_Worked__c=insertedTimeDate, Time_Worked__c=insertedTimeWorked);
		lstTimeToEnter.add(objNewTimeEntry);

return null;
	}

I'm sure I'm missing something simple and would appreciate any help.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Try adding a rerender attribute to your actionfunction - I've found that parameters only go back to the controller if there is a rerender (which I guess equals an ajax request).

I've got a number of pages where the entire content is  surrounded by an outputpanel that is rerendered by my actionfunction/commandbutton etc.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Try adding a rerender attribute to your actionfunction - I've found that parameters only go back to the controller if there is a rerender (which I guess equals an ajax request).

I've got a number of pages where the entire content is  surrounded by an outputpanel that is rerendered by my actionfunction/commandbutton etc.

This was selected as the best answer
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

I reckon you'll also want to surround your id with quotes,  e.g.

<apex:inputText id="TimeEntry" onchange="enterTime('{!lstTasks.ID}', this.value)"></apex:inputText>

RuleyRuley

That did the trick. Funny enough I'm just passing the User.ID into it and it works. I just grabbed a variable to see what would work and it did.

Thanks