function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Rani_RRani_R 

Display a new category in Contacts page

Hi,

When we enter into any contact, below is the default layout,

Contacts Detail

and below contacts detail there are many pageBlocks like below

Opportuniites

Cases

Open Activities

Activity History

Notes and Attatchments..

Now i want to add a new pageblock under it like "Documents"... IS THIS POSSIBLE? if possible i prefer it to be a seperate VF Page...so that i can have my controller to populate the data in it by calling a jsp...

I saw sControls, but also read it is not allowed to create after march 2010.... i am unclear, please give me some example or a link to help paeg where i can find info about this

Please let me know how to do this.

Thanks,

Rani

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
joshbirkjoshbirk

If your visualforce page is using the Contact StandardController, it should show up in your layout editor as something you can embed into the layout itself.  So you could create a VF page with just the custom portion, use the Contact Standard controller, and then place it in the layout where you need.

Only caveat there is that VF doesn't show up in the normal edit layout.

All Answers

joshbirkjoshbirk

You can add Visualforce itself as a section to a page layout, sounds like that would work for you.

Rani_RRani_R

But i couldnt figure out how to add a vf page as a section. please direct me

To make myself a little more clear,

i DONT WANT to create a new VF page that mimicks the entire default contactview page and then add a pageblock there for documents.... Instead I want to create a small VF page and add it to the existing default contactview page...

i saw in customizing page layout i can add my own buttons or links, but i want to add my own pageblock there....

Thanks,

Rani

Rani_RRani_R

Hi,

I did the following.. i created a VF page with the following and then went to Name | Setup | Customize | Contact | Buttons and Links|

i overwridded the contacts view page with the below VF Page..

<apex:page standardController="Contact" >
    <apex:detail />
    <apex:Form >
    <apex:Pageblock title="Document Management">
        <apex:PageBlockButtons location="top" >
            <apex:commandButton value="Retrieve Documents"/>
        </apex:PageBlockButtons>
    </apex:Pageblock>
    </apex:Form>
</apex:page>

so now my default contact page is coming and below my page block is there.... it somewhat satisfies my requirment..

but the thing is, i dont want my pageblock as the last one...... i dont want to do like this..

in my details page there is

contact Detail...

and then pageblocks below like

Opportuniites

Cases

Open Activities

Activity History

Notes and Attatchments..

I want my Document management paegblock in between contact detail and opportunities, i want more control.... i dont want my content after <apex:Detail/>... i want in middle of it..

I hope i have made myself clear.. please help me..

Rani

joshbirkjoshbirk

If your visualforce page is using the Contact StandardController, it should show up in your layout editor as something you can embed into the layout itself.  So you could create a VF page with just the custom portion, use the Contact Standard controller, and then place it in the layout where you need.

Only caveat there is that VF doesn't show up in the normal edit layout.

This was selected as the best answer
Rani_RRani_R

Many thanks,

I have been i had not set the standardController as Contact to my VF page, so it didnt got listed in the edit layout screen.....

Now i set the standardcontroller and i got it....

Thanks again :)

Rani.