function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sdetweilsdetweil 

need custom view definition editor

we are migrating to Service Cloud from an old legacy system. Our product data is very big, and cumbersome (and can't be improved in the near term).

this makes the data definitions more problematic.. we have 400 serviceable products, many releases per product, and the development shop creates a very discreet product definition package, with  specific supportable parts. overall we have some 50,000 supportable software parts.

Our old system hid all this part detail from our users thru the use of specially named and configured queues, product-region-severity.. so there are over 800 of them too.  and u can only see one queues contents at a time.

with SC we can fix this outbound part, using the case view definition (we call it filter) and the console or console2 UIs which drive off the view/filter definition.

so far so good..

but the view editor has some quirks..  to get the magnifying glass to get a list to select from, the data has to be a picklist.. and a picklist can only have 200 elements before the UI starts to put up error messages.. we have 400 products..

if you select 'product', you don't get a view list, you have to type the 'name'.. which in our case is some 40-90 characters long. nobody will get that right.

and we need below product, down to these 'parts'..  but the view editor can't related two fields together (the subparts of A product are smaller than ALL the parts of ALL the products, dependant picklist style)..

so, lots of issues..

so, we 'could' create a different UI for doing this view definition with VF.. but, unfortunately, there is no customer api to the view definition data object to

'save' it, or recall it for later editing. best we can tell, there is no intent to provide this api..

so.. can I get access to this page with UrlFor()? and then stuff the fields that way?  anyone ever tried this? 

all the other technical choices provide really bad options for our users, and they will reject the new system somthing fierce.

(someone just made a java gui that does this new ui over the old system..with over 50% of our user population on the new tool,  so it will be a BIG setback)..

I know that I could write my own console app too, using a new data layout for the filter definition, but thats a LONG way down the custom code path I didn't want to go (integrate telephony, knowledge search, the new tabbing format, etc.. )

anybody ever try this urlfor() approach for views? search doesn't get me to any examples or other complaints..

thanks

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

We've done something similar a while back. We wanted to be able to dynamically decide the filter criteria for a view, based on attributes of the record that the user was viewing. The problem is that you can't just invoke the view with the revised filter criteria, you have to hit the edit page, set the criteria and save the view record. This can be done through URL parameters, but it means that every user of the system is rewriting the same custom view record and saving it. In our case it was only used to look at historical information to investigate problems, which meant that wasn't a problem.  In your case I'd be nervous of race conditions - i.e. one user saves the record and while they are redirecting to the view contents, another change gets applied and they don't see the data they expect.

sdetweilsdetweil

We want to have personal view definitions.  altho there MAY be some org wide view defs, we want the bulk of them to be personal. and that is a setting on the page.

I don't think we need as much dynamic control as u mention.

do you have any code you could share.. is this button and page construction?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

I can't share the code I'm afraid, as it was for a customer.

It was a button or link that hit the edit page for the view in question, which we scraped from the URL.  We then passed the filter criteria as id=value pairs in the URL, with the ids scraped from the edit page.  If you add an additional parameter of save=x, that will save the record and take you to the view output.

sdetweilsdetweil

thanks.. that was the idea..

can u tell me how long it took you to create/test this?  thinking in the 30-40hours range(with the right skill of course)

how did you discover the page field ids, viewing the page source?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

It didn't take that long, but we only needed a couple of params on the URL. Prolly took around 8 hours to get right.