function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GlobalExpeditions.ax998GlobalExpeditions.ax998 

Problems with displaying static resource .zip images in my VF page

So this is a bit strange....

I have a VF page written that creates badges(labels) for contacts with their name and picture.

The way we are gettin multiple pictures is by refrerencing a .zip file as a static resource.

The funny thing about this is that when I try to upload the zip file to the static resource it does not work (the pictures come up broken) but....  when my collegue uploads it the exact same way, the files work great.

We are both using Mac osx.  My operating system is 10.6.7 and his is a bit newer.

Any ideas about this one???

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
aballardaballard

With the same zip file? Or did you each produce your own zip file and upload it?  I know some mac users have had trouble with zip files not having the directory structure they expected...

All Answers

aballardaballard

With the same zip file? Or did you each produce your own zip file and upload it?  I know some mac users have had trouble with zip files not having the directory structure they expected...

This was selected as the best answer

No we are both compressing the files individually.  I haven't been able to isolate where the problem is occurring, but I have to think its either when I'm zipping the file, or when I am saving the photo's as .jpg's in preview.

I will say that when I am compressing the file, all I'm doing is right clicking the folder and selecting "compress file".  Should I try to compress using a third party program?

Do you know of any way to fix this?

aballardaballard

Don't know much about creating archives on a mac.   But the issue I've seen is that when compressing a folder foo, some people seem to get a foo.zip that contains a folder foo containing their files, and  some people seem to get a zip containing just the files.   I think the difference is whether you select the folder and select create archive, or open the folder and select all the files and select create archive containing n files. 

If this is the issue, either form will work, but you have to reference them differently in your page. 

Hmm, well I just downloaded the free trial of Winzip for mac, and sure enough it sloved the problem.

Don't know what it is with the mac osx built in compressor but that did the trick.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Cheers

jallensjallens

I had the same problem.  Reading this thread gave me an idea since Winzip appeared to solve the issue.

If I put all the files in a folder and archived the folder to a .zip, Salesforce displays a blank document for the .css (or any other) file when navigating to the .css file using view frame source in Chrome.  Example SF url:  https://c.na1.visual.force.com/resource/<orgnumber>/zip/mycssfile.css <-- nothing displays

However, If I open the folder, select all the items in the folder, right click, and select Compress <number of items> Items to create the zip, Salesforce works as it should.  Using the same navigation from above, I can see the contents of the css file.

I tried playing with the file archive settings as described in the Macworld article listed below but couldn't come up with a good native solution.

http://www.macworld.com/article/60973/2007/11/prefarchives.html

It looks like Winzip for Mac or the solution listed above are at least viable workarounds.

jallensjallens

Upon further review

... /resource/<orgnumber>/zip/folder/mycssfile.css works just as well.  In Apex:

<apex:stylesheet value="{!URLFOR($Resource.zip, 'folder/mycssfile.css')}"/> instead of

<apex:stylesheet value="{!URLFOR($Resource.zip, 'mycssfile.css')}"/>

I am using OSX 10.7 Lion with the default archive settings.

Jerun JoseJerun Jose
This threadh provided me with my resolution.

http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/Visualforce-Development/Can-t-access-files-in-a-zipped-static-resource/td-p/164280/page/2

For me it was the way the zip files were getting generated. My code was pointing to fileName.zip/css/style.css. However when we did a zip, the actual contents were more like fileName.zip/fileName/css/style.css. Once I got that figured, it was smoot sailing.
Jennifer Chin 3Jennifer Chin 3
Thank you so much for the suggestion to select the files in a folder and click compress that way. Worked like a charm and saved me from a series of headaches that included trying iZip and Keka, neither of which would create zip files that could be recognized.
A.J. HernandezA.J. Hernandez
@GlobalExpeditions.ax998 he is right. For all us mac users, this will solve your problem.
Bob HatcherBob Hatcher
Also, for the benefit of anyone who may come along later, pay attention to the zipfile contents. If you just right-click on the folder and say "add to zip", the parent folder may be added. 

In my case, on my desktop I have a folder called "Resources" with a "js" and "css" subfolder. If I right-click on the "Resources" folder and add to zip, it creates a zipfile with Resources\js and Resources\css inside. My code references \js and \css, without the parent "Resources" folder. This causes the VF page to not find the resources.

In Windows, using WinZip, I create an empty zip file and drop the folders into it manually, which eliminates that root folder.
dhw ckslddhw cksld
Is this good practice to use the site program on homepage? I want to test for my pickhomegears (https://pickhomegears.com/) site.