function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sowjisowji 

Problem in querying standard field value of custom object

Hi frnds,

In this Rental_detail__c (custom object), I created a standard field (ID) with autonumber  format {0}.

Now I am inserting a record and I want the ID after insertion, so i thought of querying Max(ID).

I tried this part of code in my controller expecting it to return serial number, but is returning a random string (a0B900000022W9aEAE)

List<AggregateResult> groupedResults = [SELECT MAX(ID)maxval FROM Rental_detail__c]; 

String newId;

if(groupedResults .size() > 0)            {         

newId  =  ''+groupedResults[0].get('maxval') ;

}     

System.debug('New id:'+newId);

Pls help me on this.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
My OwnMy Own

once a record is inserted, you will be getting the ID,Name as by default. ID--Which is system generated one and Name(Based on DataType, Text,AutoNumber).   How do you created a ID field ?

So in this your case, You need to get the Name field instead ID,

Try this.

List<AggregateResult> groupedResults = [SELECT MAX(Name)maxval FROM Rental_detail__c]; 

All Answers

My OwnMy Own

once a record is inserted, you will be getting the ID,Name as by default. ID--Which is system generated one and Name(Based on DataType, Text,AutoNumber).   How do you created a ID field ?

So in this your case, You need to get the Name field instead ID,

Try this.

List<AggregateResult> groupedResults = [SELECT MAX(Name)maxval FROM Rental_detail__c]; 

This was selected as the best answer
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Just to add one more thing - that isn't a random string, that is the unique Salesforce id for the record.

The first 3 characters (a0B) identify the type of sobject - in this case your Rental_Detail__c custom sobject.

The next 12 characters form the remainder of the id.

The final 3 characters are added to make the id case-insensitive when used in external systems.

sowjisowji

Thanks for the help and explanation.

sowjisowji

Hi,

I have a doubt, So if want to query data w.r.t the standard  field, how should I refer to it,

i.e using field label or name

field label is BookingID 

field name is Name

select  No_of_Days__c from Rental_detail__c where BookingID=:30

or

select  No_of_Days__c from Rental_detail__c where Name=:30

Thanks,

Sowjanya

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

You'd query on the field name (that is the API name) - the label is the friendly text that is displayed to users.