function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
michael_mcmahonmichael_mcmahon 

database.com, VisualForce, and Sites

I am rebuilding my  custom objects on database.com to make them public. I have to use database.com for licenses reasons, as we expect to have many thousand light users. I would like to use VF as the front-end since I already have some idea of how to work with it. I also have a Force.com Site, Is it possible to use VF via Sites and point to the database.com objects? Is there an easier way to do this?

I am only trying to build out the functionality with a serviceable UI. We will bring in Pros to polish once everything works.

Would learning how to use the Force.com IDE be valuable for this question, or should I just use HTML and PHP?  Any other suggestions or directions?   And no, I don't know Ruby or PHP or any other tools very well yet. so I'm starting with an open mind.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sbob909sbob909

Michael,

I'm not completely sure on your scenario, but there are some immediate things I think I can discuss.

Database.com Light user licenses are API only from within Database.com orgs. Visualforce and Sites are not part of Database.com. Light users will be available with Winter 11.

But if you are trying to make Force.com data public, why not just use Sites? Or if you need inexpensive authenticated access, why not consider authenticated users for Sites?

For more information, please check out the Sites page at Developerforce, in particular the links in the Technical Articles section of this page.

Hope this points you in the right direction,

Steve Bobrowski

All Answers

sbob909sbob909

Michael,

I'm not completely sure on your scenario, but there are some immediate things I think I can discuss.

Database.com Light user licenses are API only from within Database.com orgs. Visualforce and Sites are not part of Database.com. Light users will be available with Winter 11.

But if you are trying to make Force.com data public, why not just use Sites? Or if you need inexpensive authenticated access, why not consider authenticated users for Sites?

For more information, please check out the Sites page at Developerforce, in particular the links in the Technical Articles section of this page.

Hope this points you in the right direction,

Steve Bobrowski

This was selected as the best answer
michael_mcmahonmichael_mcmahon

Thanks Steve.